Lost two bettas . :(

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

dylan644

Post by dylan644 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:36 pm

I'm just still stuck on how the bacteria that caused dropsy could have been introduced. As you mentioned you had all well established fish... I have a disposable filter too! lol XD It had a hole in the side so I took the advantage with this one. I'm planning to set up a 10gal so... I'll be seeking advice if you have any you would be willing to share. I'll be making a new post.

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:26 am

I'm stumped to and my other three are doing fine showing no signs at all they still have very healthy appetites and are looking good. I'm wondering if I'd accidentally introduced something on my hands into the aquarium but I'm scrupulous about my hygiene and always wash my hands and make sure the soap residue is long gone before putting my hands into their water.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

dylan644

Post by dylan644 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:55 am

It's really the only other way that I can think of. Normally fish could fight it off. Maybe she was just weak. That's the only other probable cause I can think of.

Baneykinz

Post by Baneykinz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:58 am

there's a lot of illnesses that are constantly present in the water, they only show up when your fish's immune system is compromised. Petstore conditions can take over a month to resolve. We rescued a male back in February, it took him over a month to even eat properly, and another to gain weight.Dropsy is caused by a bacterial infection, or a virus. The bacterial form CAN be cured, but the fish will never be the same (due to kidney damage). Viral Dropsy can't be cured.We had to euthanize a female a couple of months ago, because she had a massive tumor that gave her dropsy.

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:08 am

@Baneykinz, I've had four of these bettas for five months and one for three but thanks for the info anyway.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.