Petrified Of Flaming On Other Sites

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Tue May 09, 2006 4:47 pm

Does anyone else feel like this? I lurk on a lot of other sites but I am terrified of actually posting when I see the flaming that goes on, particularly with newbies. I love reality TV show forums the most but they can be brutal. I just made my first post on an American Idol site and I got so nervous! We'll see if anyone is mean to me. LOLI just feel so safe on LHC.
~ crabbing since 2003

Topic author
Froggz37

Post by Froggz37 » Tue May 09, 2006 4:58 pm

I agree! I recently joined a frog/toad board and the people there are (not to be mean) rude and seem very full of themselves. Someone posts a question or has done something wrong unknowingly and you'll see 4 or 5 posts afterwards where the forum regulars are just chewin behind on this poor person, instead of explaining what could be done differently.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue May 09, 2006 5:11 pm

I have been consistently amazed at how polite everyone is here on this forum - NOT the norm at all. I'm grateful, and I'm sure it's due in large part to the vigilance of the admins.I think it's another sign of the potential pitfalls of the Internet - without having the accountability of talking face to face, people are free to say whatever, and unfortunately 'whatever' is often something unpleasant.

Topic author
Dawn38

Post by Dawn38 » Tue May 09, 2006 5:28 pm

I agree with you guys. This is the first forum site I have been on. Everyone here has been very nice and they always try to help. It makes me feel like I have a extended family. I know no matter what I ask someone will be there to help. Even if some people think the question is a stupid one, they are still nice when they reply to it.Dawn

Crabby Abby

Post by Crabby Abby » Wed May 10, 2006 12:48 am

It's a team effort, great members and great admin. The occasional post that goes awry gets pulled and that's important. I wish other sites would do that rather than silently tolerate it.
-----------------------------------
Photobucket album
Spay or neuter your pet. It's a matter of life or death.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed May 10, 2006 5:06 am

I used to go lurking on other sites in areas I was interested in, but the people were so in love with themselves & petty that I just stayed here. This site is the nicest to newbies that I've ever seen. I think sometimes people forget they were newbies once themselves.Ok, Nicole, so if anyone's mean to you I say we send our hermies to pinch them really hard. I know my hermies would be in. Who's with me?***goes & explains to hermies what's going on. As she comes back to computer hears the battle chirp "Pinch! Pinch!" ringing through the house***

Crabby Abby

Post by Crabby Abby » Wed May 10, 2006 5:31 am

Abby c*cks head, listens, hears distant voices getting louder and louder. Thinks, 'It's Queen. No, no, but sounds like Queen. It's crabs! Well, no, but kinda sounds like them too. It's sort of a combination. Eh, almost got it pinpointed, I hear it, I hear it - it's, it's... the Hermit Crab National Anthem!"Everbody, we will, we will, pinch you!"Funny, I never noticed before, 8-Ball looks remarkably like Freddie Mercury!
Photobucket album

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Wed May 10, 2006 7:25 am

Ooh! Ooh! They liked my post. LMAO Never mind that it took me over twenty minutes to compose it and proofread it before I actually posted. At least I wasn't flamed. I don't think I'll be posting on there too often but I do enjoy reading what others have to say.Love you guys! This site is the best. Even when I was a newbie with a billion hermie questions I was never flamed once. Even anonymously, I would find it difficult to be mean to somebody.
~ crabbing since 2003

Topic author
tnyfootprntz

Post by tnyfootprntz » Wed May 10, 2006 7:58 am

I love that I can recommend LHC to parents of kids with hermit crabs, and say with confidence that it is a family-friendly, helpful, and very well-monitored site. At first mention of "internet forum", I get that "look" from people who know what kind of trashy verbal exchanges often occur on the internet. Then I get to assure them that LHC isn't like those places. So, THANKS admins and everyone for keeping this one of the nice spots on the internet!Glad they liked your post, Nicole . I'm a lot like you, I think - when I post something I have to go back and make sure it sounds right, spellcheck, edit, before clicking the "post now" button.

Topic author
Dawn38

Post by Dawn38 » Wed May 10, 2006 8:23 am

lol. I'm glad they liked your post Nicole. I am like you and tnyfootprntz, I proofread, edit and spell check many times before I click the post now button. lolDawn

Topic author
Bubu

Post by Bubu » Wed May 10, 2006 8:56 am

I have that same fear everywhere I go, even when I found this site. I was afraid to ask questions, I thought people would be like "derrr you're supposed to know this stuff!!" I'm on at least two sites where people are like that, and I end up not posting anything on them, just sort of looking around to see if I can answer any questions. I have no idea why people can be so mean to someone they've never met nor someone they can even see.

Topic author
motley crew

Post by motley crew » Wed May 10, 2006 9:52 am

I agree with you nicole,I also go over to a reptile site once and a while and some of those people are brutel when you ask anything they act really bad. I got much better advise here for my bearded dragon then they ever gave me and some of the nascar sites are a screaming match (but thats not as bad because I stand by my guy and scream back thats for sure!)I lurked here for a while as well and then felt so welcomed so thank you for that. its almost been one year too how strange time just flys by.

Topic author
avic

Post by avic » Wed May 10, 2006 10:34 am

I have belonged to several forums and boards and most have alot of back bitting and flaming.I was in a Mommy's of July 02 group and those women ( using term loosly) were pure hateful they loved to torment this one chick who was totally clueless that they were making fun of her. I left the group after a face to face get together went bad.I also recently posted on a forum about dogs becuase i fear or stray might be preggers and got flamed about it not spaying my pet. Apparently they didnt notice or care about the part about "Stray i took in just 2 weeks ago". Someone was kind enough to tell me what i wanted to know and that was if she did mate how long the pregnancy lasts and when to expect puppies.

Crabby Abby

Post by Crabby Abby » Wed May 10, 2006 10:53 am

quote:I am like you and tnyfootprntz, I proofread, edit and spell check many times before I click the post now button. lol I've gone so far as to go back and delete a few that weren't well written.Nicole, how could they not like you?
Photobucket album

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed May 10, 2006 11:08 am

When I first joined someone made fun of the way I described cholla wood. made me want to beat them to a pulp. I thought about not coming back then realised, gee I'm just too sensitive.... Only problem I've ever had here. Everyones been awesome, and nice, and really helped out since then.