You Know You Grew Up In The 80's If...

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

breezeetew

Post by breezeetew » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:04 am

1. You've ever ended a sentence with the word "PSYCHE".2. You watched the Pound Puppies.3. You can sing the rap to the "Fresh Prince of Belair " ...and can do the "Carlton".4. Girls wore biker shorts under their skirts and felt stylishly sexy. 5. You yearned to be a member of the Baby-sitters club and tried to start a club of your own.6. You owned those lil' Strawberry Shortcake pals scented dolls.7. You know that "WOAH " comes from Joey on Blossom.8. Two words: Hammer Pants. 9. If you ever watched "Fraggle Rock ". 10. You had plastic streamers on your handle bars... and "spokey-dokes" or playing cards on your spokes for that incredible sound effect. 11. You can sing the entire theme song to "Duck Tales". (Woo ooh!)12. When it was actually worth getting up early on a Saturday to watch cartoons. 13. You wore a ponytail on the side of your head. 14. You saw the original "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles " on the big screen... and still know the turtles names. 15. You got super-excited when it was Oregon Trail day in computer class at school. 16. You made your mom buy one of those clips that would hold your shirt in a knot on the side. 17. You played the game "MASH ". (Mansion, Apartment, Shelter, House)18. You wore stonewashed Jordache jean jackets and were proud of it. 19. L.A. Gear... need I say more.20. You wanted to change your name to "JEM " in Kindergarten. (She's truly outrageous)21. You remember reading "Tales of a fourth grade nothing " and all the Ramona books. 22. You know the profound meaning of "WAX ON, WAX OFF".23. You wanted to be a Goonie.24. You ever wore fluorescent clothing. (some of us... head-to-toe) 25. You can remember what Michael Jackson looked like before his nose fell off and his cheeks shifted. 26. You have ever pondered why Smurfette was the only female smurf. 27. You took lunch boxes to school... and traded Garbage Pail Kids in the schoolyard. 28. You remember the CRAZE, then the BANNING of slap bracelets. 29. You still get the urge to say "NOT " after every sentence. 30. You remember Hypercolor t-shirts.31. Barbie and the Rockers was your favorite band. 32. You thought She-ra (Princess of Power!) and He-Man should hookup. 33. You thought your childhood friends would never leave because you exchanged handmade friendship bracelets. 34. You ever owned a pair of Jelly-Shoes. (and like #24, probably in neon colors, too) 35. After you saw Pee-Wee's Big Adventure you kept saying "I know you are, but what am I?"36. You remember "I've fallen and I can't get up" 37. You remember going to the skating rink before there were inline skates. 38. You ever got seriously injured on a Slip and Slide. 39. You have ever played with a Skip-It.40. You had or attended a birthday party at McDonalds. 41. You've gone through this nodding your head in agreement. 42. You remember Popples.43. "Don't worry, be happy"44. You wore like, EIGHT pairs of socks over tights with high top Reeboks. 45. You wore socks scrunched down (and sometimes still do...getting yelled at by "younger hip" members of the family) 46. "Miss MARY MACK MACK MACK, all dressed in BLACK BLACK BLACK "47. You remember boom boxes. and walking around with one on your shoulder like you were all that.48. You remember watching both "Gremlins" movies.49. You know what it meant to say "Care Bear Stare!"50. You remember watching "Rainbow Bright" and "My Little Pony Tales "51. You thought Doogie Howser/Samantha Micelli was hot.52. You remember Alf, the lil furry brown alien from Melmac. 53. You remember New Kids on the Block when they were cool... and don't even flinch when people refer to them as "NKOTB".54. You knew all the characters names and their life stories on "Saved By the Bell ", the ORIGINAL class.55. You know all the words to Bon Jovi - SHOT THROUGH THE HEART. 56. You just sang those words to yourself. 57.You remember watching Magic vs. Bird. 58. Homemade Levi shorts. (the shorter the better) 59. You remember when mullets were cool!60. You had a mullet!61. You still sing "We are the World"62. You tight rolled your jeans. 63. You owned a bannana clip.64. You remember "Where's the Beef?"65. You used to (and probably still do) say "What you talkin' about Willis?" 66. You had big hair and you knew how to use it.67. You're still singing shot through the heart in your head,aren't you!*** note about #25- I taught a 5th grade class that didn't realize Janet and Michael Jackson were related (Superbowl and trials both in the media). One girl exclaimed: "Oh yeah! he used to be black!"
I have had hermit crabs for a couple of years and still have most of my originals. I joined LHC over a year ago and have learned a lot about crab care there. I have about 50 crabs (PP, Straw and E) in my 130 gallon tank that is a feature point of my living room.
Mother of 4 humans, one canine, 3 felines and many aquarium dwellers.

FlightResponse

Post by FlightResponse » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:11 am

....you know who Matt Frewer is.

motley crew

Post by motley crew » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:22 am

I loved growing up in the 80's and I remember all that and the best thing is that its back and my son is going through it all I love the clothes and long haired guys it was great !!He thinks I was so lucky and see's the pic's at my mom's and asks do you still have that shirt or this and that its great!

motley crew

Post by motley crew » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:24 am

Also try growing up with the nickname micki =hey mickey your so fine your so fine you blow my mind hey mickey

breezeetew

Post by breezeetew » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:20 am

Mogymog, I am a child of the 80's and I am NOT old! Besides, it is coming back in style, so we were just ahead of our time!My friend and I are loving this stuff coming back because our kids (aged 13) make fun of all the 80's type movies we like to watch. It is going to be so fun to tease them when they want those styles! And my son actually likes Billy Joel and some of my other "old" musicMaking fun lf legwarmers is the best because I hear they are coming back and I spotted a pair in that Shoe inserts for women commercial where they are wearing their high heels all over (even in the bath)
I have had hermit crabs for a couple of years and still have most of my originals. I joined LHC over a year ago and have learned a lot about crab care there. I have about 50 crabs (PP, Straw and E) in my 130 gallon tank that is a feature point of my living room.

KittyCaller

Post by KittyCaller » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:38 am

I'm at this very moment wearing a Breakfast Club tee-shirt, I kid you not. I remember a lot of that stuff...but it's from a 4 year old's perspective. To be fair, a lot of it was still fairly popular with younger kids in the early nineties, so that's probably why I remember it. LOL! (I also have a Fraggle Rock tee shirt and theme song is on my computer, but then I think almost anything Muppets is cool; especially from the Henson era.)

jojo7

Post by jojo7 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:42 am

Although i remember some of those listed, i think i remember the mid to later 70's earlier 80's more...I grew up with Happy Day's and was madly in love w/Fonzie!!...I had a mad crush on David Cassidy and Bobby Sherman...And i was the coolest wearing my tube tops and overall jeans...and dont forget the high top keds to make the style complete!!...I know, i'm old...

breezeetew

Post by breezeetew » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:05 am

I have lavender high top Converse, I somehow lost the camoflage ones. Not sure they make those colors anymore.I just gave my yellow high tops to a friend's daughter, she doesn't care they aren't Converse cuz they don't make yellow converse anymore.I was so chic wearing my cabbie hats in various colors- saw some at Walmart last week, but I am resisting.They say if you wore them the first time you are too old to wear them again, too bad. I did wear my lavender high tops in June, though. The guy at the amusement park told me it dated my age fast!

newhermiemami

Post by newhermiemami » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:56 pm

Oh, man I loved that stuff. I loved that list. I just had to call my cousin and read this to her and she got a good laugh out of it also. I cant wait till they come back out with those hyper color tees. My kids will love them. lol. I cant stand the ponytail on the side of the head though. It makes me want to grab and yank. I remember the breakfast club was so cool to me when I was a little kid. I wanted to be like them. I wanted to marry a guy like the bad guy on that movie, I cant remember his name. I actually married a guy like that. Divorced a guy like that.

Pharfly1

Post by Pharfly1 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:09 pm

Thank you for the flash backs! I was born in Nov 1979, so the 80's where my thing... I was a part of the we hate new kids on the block club! I was Jem for halloween, I still have my toy smurfs(pixar just bought the rights to it so a remake is in the works), hypercolor shirts, after you dry them in the dryer too long they don't work(also they wern't very practical when your underarms where hot...) I went to teenagage mutant ninja turtles summer camp, (Rafaele was the coolest in his orange mask)... And the list goes on and on.... you forgot CABBAGE PATCH KIDS!!!!!! My Mom waiting in line for hours to get mine(and then I lost her).

newhermiemami

Post by newhermiemami » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:13 pm

quote:you forgot CABBAGE PATCH KIDS!!!!!! My Mom waiting in line for hours to get mine(and then I lost her). Number 1 reason I never stand in those long lines for hours on end to buy the newest fad toy! I got a tickle me elmo after christmas and my small child never knew the difference and I never had to get into a fist fight for a fuzzy little monster toy! lol

Dawn38

Post by Dawn38 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:39 pm

quote:Thank you for the flash backs! I second that! I was born April 1976 so I remember most of that. I was singing shot through the heart the rest of the time reading that list. Now I can't get it out of my head. That one and hey mickey. I love those songs.That was great breezee! Thank you so much! Dawn

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:52 pm

Man that list makes me feel old, especially since I'm kid-sitting at the moment. Doesn't it seem like the shows kids watch now just aren't as cool as the ones we watched? Man I wish I were a kid again, those were the days.

Bubu

Post by Bubu » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:31 am

I was born in '87 and I seriously remember almost everything on that list! I remember it being mostly 90's stuff though, but that's probably because the trends just sorta carried right over into the early 90's. Like Jellies shoes, I had purple ones with hearts on the bottoms, and I wore those for most of the 90's lol! That's what got me, I was like "Dang those were around in the 80's?!"Love that list, made me remember several things followed by me shouting "YES!!"

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:17 am

I am a 1974 kid and definitly remember. The other day, I had mentioned to my husband, that if leg warmers come back, I will run, screaming to the mountains!LOL!