Fading Fern

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

latieplolo

Fading Fern

Post by latieplolo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:47 am

My apartment has slowly been turning into a greenhouse since the fall, and as much as I love exotics, I sometimes run into care problems with new plants.I got a large fern around Christmas, and I just can't make it happy. I water it a little more than I would like, and I even bring it in the bathroom every morning while I shower to give it some humidity. But every day, more leaves fall off.I don't think it has root rot, but I can't imagine that it's too dry, either. I don't know, though, I've never had a fern before.Does anyone have any advice?

HermitCrabby_LHC

Fading Fern

Post by HermitCrabby_LHC » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:00 pm

Some ferms like to have their roots almost cradled in a pot. I wouldnt give it alot of water and maybe get a pot that waters from the bottom. I know my grandmother has on that started from a seedling and she now has it in the shed it is so big.

Topic author
dylan644

Fading Fern

Post by dylan644 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:50 pm

My grandmother has always had luck with ferns outside. She waters them every evening during summer. Maybe they need more light. Even if they are indirect light only plants. I have an orchid....well it's really moms but she sorta kills all of her flowers and we have been through two orchids. We have had this one the longest. My grandma can usually keep the hardest plants to care for alive but her orchid died. It says indirect light on the tag, but I leave it out in the evening sun. I open the blinds and put it out on the table. It gets about 4 hours of light. I also soak it in water every week. I put fertilizer in the water with it and at the end of the day it turns forest green. I have new growth on it. Maybe you have a nutritional problem. I don't know much about ferns, so I cant tell you much about them. You can try a balanced fertilizer in its water. That will benefit any of the plants you have. If you have city water it could be the chlorine. And salt from a water softener.