Salt

Archived food and water-specific information.

Adam_LHC

Salt

Post by Adam_LHC » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:04 pm

What kind of salt do hermits need mixed with their water?

HermitCrabby_LHC

Salt

Post by HermitCrabby_LHC » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:21 pm

Instant ocean is best. But any saltwater aquarium salt is good.

finalfantasyxii

Salt

Post by finalfantasyxii » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:36 pm

I agree, instant ocean is the bomb! You can get a big box for relatively cheap and it lasts forever. Advice: keep the box in a big ziplock so it doesn't get damp.
Y'all can call me Sara
Certifiably Crab Crazy
http://s1051.photobucket.com/albums/s432/herder79/

dylan644

Salt

Post by dylan644 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:01 pm

To answer you question more descriptively they need marine grade salt. Stuff you mix into fish tanks. Instant Ocean and Oceanic are top of the line in salt water mixes. Usually you can find Instant Ocean in any pet store that has a section for fish.

Crabber85

Salt

Post by Crabber85 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:55 pm

I agree with Dylan Instant Ocean(IO) and Oceanic are the two best currently available on the US market and IO tends to be much cheaper and more widely available.You can get away with the fresh water aquarium salt put out by Jungle or API but only if you don't have exotics like E's and Straws as it won't do for them due to the fact that this type of aquarium salt tends to be missing some of the key elements that they need.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Adam_LHC

Salt

Post by Adam_LHC » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:34 pm

Thanks for the replies. I was using salt by "HBH Pet Products" but just ran out. I didn't know if it was regular salt in a fancy bottle. I'm heading to the pet store tomarrow I will check those brands out.

dylan644

Salt

Post by dylan644 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:03 pm

I think there was a study done on it. If you look on the back there are a bunch of odd ingredients that are unnecessary in the salt. End the end, I believe it was quite similar to table salt, it just didn't have synthetic iodine.

Crabber85

Salt

Post by Crabber85 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:34 pm

Actually HBH salt was found to be the same thing as IO with the addition of a few different unnecessary ingredients a couple of which are questionable to make more money off of the product.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.