placement of the UTH

Where you post anything related to hermit crabs that does not fit into the categories below.

jasonmom

placement of the UTH

Post by jasonmom » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:25 am

Should the sidemounted UTH be above or below substrate? 1/2 & 1/2? So confused

Topic author
Crabber85

placement of the UTH

Post by Crabber85 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:40 pm

@jasonmom, the uth should be mostly above the surface of the substrate with maybe an inch of it below that will give some directional heat into the substrate without overheating it.If the uth is positioned too low it poses the same risks as if it were bottom mounted.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

jasonmom

placement of the UTH

Post by jasonmom » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:55 am

Did exactly as recommended. Also using overhead light with 40 watt incandescent bulb - need to buy something more powerful to get temp up a bit more. Right now sitting on about 75 (which is up slightly from what I think store bought from was at). Trying to go up slowly.

Topic author
Crabber85

placement of the UTH

Post by Crabber85 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:36 am

What size uth are you using?If you were using a uth pad rated for a sixty gallon tank you wouldn't need the overhead heat unless you just want to try to replicate a more natural heat position by mimicking the overhead heat from the sun.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

jasonmom

placement of the UTH

Post by jasonmom » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:10 am

I got a UTH for a 40 gallon as I planned to use a 20 gallon tank. Right now my thermometer is about an inch above substrate on warm side wall. My UTH is on back wall with my lamp above it. Thermometer says 76 / humidity is 72.

Topic author
Crabber85

placement of the UTH

Post by Crabber85 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:00 pm

Your temp and humidity sound good and should be 80/80 ideally by the end of the iso period those values can easily be attained by increasing your heat output into tank and using things like moss pits and bubble pools.
#Autism Speaks.