rollie pollies

Where you post anything related to hermit crabs that does not fit into the categories below.

mae

rollie pollies

Post by mae » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:00 pm

has anyone heard of putting rollie pollies in the tank to help with keeping it clean. Has anyone done this? does it work or just cause promblem?
-Mae

Nnnnnnnn

rollie pollies

Post by Nnnnnnnn » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:23 pm

Yep. They're awesome for cleaning.

dylan644

rollie pollies

Post by dylan644 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:25 am

I have been letting mine breed. I don't know when I will put them in. Probably after my sub change. I use salt water to mix, so I don't know if it will harm them. I assume it would. When I do my change I want to wash out the old sub to get the salt out then I'll add new and rehydrate it with only fresh water so I can add plants.

Topic author
Miko

rollie pollies

Post by Miko » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:32 am

wait what rolly polly keep the tank clean??
5PP's and 1E, 67g Tank. 1Dog and a kid!!

finalfantasyxii

rollie pollies

Post by finalfantasyxii » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:45 am

Yes isopods (or rolly pollys, sow bugs, pill bugs) are great little bottom feeders. Dylan you don't have to worry about the salt water. I use salt water for my sub as well as to spray the tat. My isopods have been breeding happily for well over 6 months now!They eat crab poop too - how awesome is that?I love my isopods. I almost never see them. They scatter when the light comes on and prefer to hide. They like the same habitat conditions as the crabs and eat their leavings. It's the perfect symbiotic relationship! The crabs will even eat dead isopods apparently but I haven't seen that myself.The hardest part is doing a deep clean without killing them. I get pretty attached and don't want to lose ANY of them which is almost impossible!I ordered mine from bugsincyberspace.com - I ordered 14 of them or something and goodness knows how many are in there now. I got the kind that don't roll (who knew there were so many kinds?). It's so gratifying to see the little white, translucent babies as well as the fat, healthy adults.I recommend isopods to anyone with hermit crabs. I have always been a little squeamish about bugs but I love these little guys. I was afraid they might breed and over run the tank but so far have not had any issues with that.
Y'all can call me Sara
Certifiably Crab Crazy
http://s1051.photobucket.com/albums/s432/herder79/

Topic author
Miko

rollie pollies

Post by Miko » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:18 am

so would i beable to get some from outside and use them?? my daughter finds them alot and come up to me with handfuls "look mommy i got some bugs!!!"

finalfantasyxii

rollie pollies

Post by finalfantasyxii » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:19 pm

The consensus about using "wild caught" rolly pollys is that they can be exposed to pesticides if you or even your neighbors use any. If you think there is any chance they were exposed to pesticides you can catch some and keep them in their own enclosure for a month and then they are safe to put in with your crabs. You want 10-15 of them to start. They like the same conditions as the crabs and they eat decaying leaves and probably a lot of the same stuff your crabs do. Give them lots of stuff to hide in!
Y'all can call me Sara
Certifiably Crab Crazy

Crabber85

rollie pollies

Post by Crabber85 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:18 am

@Miko, its never recommended to use insects from your own yard as the odds of making your hermitcrabs sick from exposure go up exponentially when introducing a foreign insect.Rollie Pollies are native to the hermitcrabs natural habitats but due to geographical differences the isopods in your back yard are likely to be carrying parasites and other contaminants that your hermitcrabs may have no resistance to upping the ante quite a bit.You can't actually insure the safety of wild caught insects by isolating them as this does nothing to the bacteria, amoebas and other microscopic pests the rollies may have and only addresses what pesticides, fungicides and other chemicals the insects might have crawled through by allowing them to dissipate.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
Miko

rollie pollies

Post by Miko » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:38 am

ok so what kind should i order and how do u keep them from over running the tank??

finalfantasyxii

rollie pollies

Post by finalfantasyxii » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:56 am

These are the ones I got: http://shop.bugsincyberspace.c...lio-15-ct-bic700.htmHave never had an issue with them overrunning the tank. This was one of my concerns but really I wouldn't worry.
Y'all can call me Sara
Certifiably Crab Crazy

Topic author
Miko

rollie pollies

Post by Miko » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:25 am

ok coo thank you

finalfantasyxii

rollie pollies

Post by finalfantasyxii » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:10 am

I just wanted to say when I was asking around about adding isopods to my tank, most of the people I spoke with used the ones they caught in their yard - and nobody had any issues with their crabs getting sick. I wanted to purchase bugs but that's just what I decided to do.I'm not sure the isopods I got were from the crabs natural habitat or if you could be sure ANY bugs wouldn't have microbes etc that might harm the crabs. It's whatever you feel comfortable with. Not everybody wants to pay $30 to have some isopods overnighted to their house!!
Y'all can call me Sara
Certifiably Crab Crazy

Keg

rollie pollies

Post by Keg » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:18 pm

Can the isopods climb glass and get out?

Topic author
Miko

rollie pollies

Post by Miko » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:02 am

you should have a lid so that wouldntr be a problem

Keg

rollie pollies

Post by Keg » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:54 am

I can't always have a lid. It's too hot here.