I'm new to LHC

Where you post anything related to hermit crabs that does not fit into the categories below.

Topic author
Bybo

I'm new to LHC

Post by Bybo » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:11 am

Hi! My name is Bybo. I have just learned about this wonderful site and want to learn every single bit of info on my crabs. I have 13 crabs and they live in a 55 gallon tank. I have had them a year now. Please feel free to ask me questions that could improve my care of my crabs
I love my crabs!

Amanda2

I'm new to LHC

Post by Amanda2 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:57 am

Welcome to the community, we will be glad to answer any questions you have. First, how many crabs do you have, and what size tank. Just wondering so we can give you the right info

Topic author
Bybo

I'm new to LHC

Post by Bybo » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:37 am

@amanda2 I have 13 hermit crabs and a 55 gallon tank.
I love my crabs!

Amanda2

I'm new to LHC

Post by Amanda2 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:15 am

Wow it sounds like you definitely have enough room! Ther is some really great Info in the archives, but if you want your questions answered directly you might consider copying and pasting the ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS post in the molting section and filling thrm in so we can get a better idea of your tank setup.

Topic author
Bybo

I'm new to LHC

Post by Bybo » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:25 am

I will do that now.
I love my crabs!

Topic author
Bybo

I'm new to LHC

Post by Bybo » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:40 am

1) How long have you had your crabs and how long have you been caring for them?I have had my crabs a year.2) What size is your tank and what kind of lid do you have? I have a 55 gallon tank and there is a 20 gallon on top. That serves as my lid.3) What are you using for heat? Please be specific and include fixture type, watt or mat size and where the heat source is mounted.I am using a medium heat pad on full heat.4) What kind of substrate do you use in your tank and at what depth? Is it dry or damp and sand castle consistency? I use EE and it is about 6 inches deep. It is about sand castle consistency.5) Do you dechlorinate your fresh water and if so, with what product? Do you offer aquarium salt water in addition to fresh water? Again, what product? I buy distilled water from target and add salt.6) What do you normally feed your crabs? A variety of everything.7) Do you bathe, mist or handle your crabs at all? I play with them all the time with an occasional bath.8) What are the temperature and humidity readings? Please be specific and include high low fluctuations if you're aware of them. My humidity is between 75-90 and heat is normally 75.
I love my crabs!

Amanda2

I'm new to LHC

Post by Amanda2 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:42 am

Wow your tank sounds perfect! The only thing, I think you said this but to clarify, do you supply fresh water and salt or just salt?Otherwise sounds like you got the right info from the beginning! If possible could you post pictures? The tank sounds really cool! Also I hope you found the archive useful.

Crabber85

I'm new to LHC

Post by Crabber85 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:40 am

While your tank conditions sound ideal its not the best idea to be handling the crabs regularly because this adds extra undue stress on them and can impact molt success and their overall health.The statistic is that the average home in America only has a humidity level of about fifty percent or so due to the usage of air conditioner and heating systems because these systems are designed to wick moisture ie humidity out of the air before it is pumped into the house they greatly reduce the humidity levels in the house, when you repeatedly take a hermitcrab who is dependent on high humidity to breath properly out of its enclosure and into an open dry air space this does damage to the lining of the gills and after a period of time where the crab is exposed over and over again the damage builds up to become severe and permanent which will lead to an early death for the poor crab.Bathing is also not recommended because it strips them of their body oils which helps to keep moisture locked into their exoskeleton and actually dries them out and if done on a daily basis they can't properly regenerate this body oil and will slowly die from dehydration.Forcible bathing also adds extra stress on the crab in another way, hermitcrabs have to keep their shell water as a specific isotopic balance between fresh and salt by ingesting salts in their food and by bathing in and drinking water from their water dishes they will pump the water through their gills into their shell and will regulate it on a microscopic level so when we forcibly bathe them we are making the decision for them as to which water they need put into their shell which 99.9% is wrong and completely wrecks the isotopic balance they have worked so hard to achieve this then forces them to have to re-regulate and balance the shell water its more natural and better for them to offer up suitable sized water dishes that are deep enough for them to submerged half their shell in when resting this allows to them to choose when they want to bathe and which kind of water they need when they do so.The key here is to mimic nature as closely as possible by offering them as many choices as possible much like they would have in their natural environment this helps to keep them happier and healthier and thusly with us for a much longer period of time.Are you using sponges in your water dishes?I hope I didn't come off as too abrupt we are just here to help.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
Bybo

I'm new to LHC

Post by Bybo » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:27 am

@amanda2 I supply both fresh and salt.@crabber85 I do not bathe them regularly only when I get a new crab.
I love my crabs!

Keg

I'm new to LHC

Post by Keg » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:05 pm

ByboPlease post a picture of your setup. We will think and point.

Topic author
Bybo

I'm new to LHC

Post by Bybo » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:58 am

Here is my whole setup. As well as the inside.
I love my crabs!

Topic author
Bybo

I'm new to LHC

Post by Bybo » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:24 am

Sorry the picture won't work. I will keep messing around with it.
I love my crabs!

Crabber85

I'm new to LHC

Post by Crabber85 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:39 pm

@Bybo, its because your picture is too large it needs to be dropped down to about 250kb to post successfully which means you'll need a photo editor that allows you resize photos.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
Bybo

I'm new to LHC

Post by Bybo » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:22 am

Do you know a good way to do that?
I love my crabs!

Topic author
Bybo

I'm new to LHC

Post by Bybo » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:23 am

The picture is only 214kb.