New Hermit Crab Owner (By Accident)

Where you post anything related to hermit crabs that does not fit into the categories below.

Tawny_R

Post by Tawny_R » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:46 am

I just wanted to make sure I'm doing this hermit crab ownership correctly. I researched until 1am last night, and found out quite a bit of useful information!I uh...inherited...two hermit crabs from my neighbor in a small critter keeper with 1/2 inch of sand and some aquarium gravel. I don't know much about crabs, but they looked sad. My cousin has a 10 G tank she is giving me tonight, but I went out and bought some Eco Earth and play sand and have put the mixture about 4 inches high in the critter keeper to give them the humidity until I get the tank tonight. The one my daughter claimed is a larger one, and wouldn't come out of his shell hardly ever according to my neighbor, but as soon as I put the new substrate mixture in, he was out and climbing everywhere, so I can assume he likes it. I have a dish of saltwater (which the big crab is climbing in and out of), freshwater, and a couple pieces of steamed zucchini that we feed our pleco in the critter keeper now. Anyway, I just wanted any special advice that you may have to an accidental hermit crab owner.TIATawny

crazycrabber

Post by crazycrabber » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:05 pm

start out by getting that ten gallon tank, a heating pad, a humidity and temperature guage. Then we will go from there. By the way, welcome to the forums! use a sponge on the lid (wet sponge) for humidity. From all that research, do you know what humidity and temp are right? if you don't ask as we will be happy to answer any questions.
experience comes from this: Harvey (tarantula), flanders (cat), 2 pp hermit crabs, (marshawn pinch, and richard shermit), smallstress house hamster(hamster), baron purplemoon (fish).
This signature is currently in violation of our five line maximum policy.

Topic author
jenok

Post by jenok » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:20 am

I would suggest clicking the "Forums" page and scroll down to the bottom where it says library and then archived crabitat info. That info has been very useful and shows several crabitats/tanks setup. My 10g tank is setup with playsand 6" deep. It has a screen top covered with plastic wrap leaving just a tiny opening for air circulation. I don't have lighting yet but will have in the near future, so you can add lights later. I keep 2 little tubs in for water deep enough they can cover most of their shell if they want to. 1 has fresh water the other has salt (I use Instant Ocean). Then I put some things in for them to climb and/or hide in/under. I use a small flat shell to put their food in usually giving them 3 different things. In the zoea forum at the top are some food lists that will help you. Almost all flakes/pellets sold at the store for crabs are not good for them. I keep a piece of cuttle bone for them to munch on in the tank. I also have an under tank heater mounted on the side of the tank instead of under it for heat. I suggest getting one rated for a 10g tank and another rated for a 20g tank because mounting them on the side (which is the best for crabs) requires 3x the heat rating for the tank to get it about 80 degrees. If your in an area where it gets warm for summer you may only need the 20g heater plugged in but the winter you probably need both plugged in.

Tawny_R

Post by Tawny_R » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:48 am

Thank you both! I've read that the heat and humidity should be 80 deg. and 80% so I've got it there now. One of my little friends has buried himself, so I'm assuming he's molting down there. Exciting!

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:23 am

He could be just distressing if he wasn't in good conditions to begin with. Make sure there is nothing close to the top of the tank if you don't have a proper lid because they can climb up and out using the corners. Lids to 10gal you pick up at wal Mart. Then you might want to check good will, yard sales etc for 29 gallon. They do grow and they are addictive, you will find yourself buying tuff to decorate the tank and buying more crabs!! The 10 gal will be good iso tank. The best thing for now is just let him alone for a month just change water & feed. They need this to adjust. Check out the food list on here. You prob have food in your house you can feed them..