questions involving water, humidity, and air circulation

Where you post anything related to hermit crabs that does not fit into the categories below.

paperheartz

Post by paperheartz » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:54 pm

ok so im going to make two new pools. i need a deeper fresh water bowl and a less deep and more even saltwater pool. here is what im going to use http://imgur.com/xT9uqcHhttp://imgur.com/QuP0OWUred is going to be fresh and green is going to be salt 1. other than plastic canvas, plastic vines, and plastic plants what can i put in the pools as ways to help them climb out and make it look nice. so basically my question is what things can be submergered in water without molding or just ending bad? could i for example glue this sea fan inside against the back http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEA-FA...&hash=item2a51eabe50 ? other then plastic obviously what can i put? and what plastic things other that what i mentioned can i add?2. im going to put a air pump into these dishes to keep the water moving. so, is this considered a bubbler? and how would i go about hidding the tubbing so that they dont chew on it? will this help with humididty? and if so how much? is there anything else i need to know about keeping the water moving, air pumps in the water dishes and bublers if that is what this is. which leads me to my next question3. if this is a bubbler and it does helpp with humidity does that mean i still need air circulation or would the bubler help with that too? for air circulation i just lift the seran wrap a little during the day as of right now. also i have the pools right under a light bar i have sitting over the tanks screen. if i add the air pump to the pools would i have to move the light or something would it hurt the light? and finaly ive recently taken to treating my water with a dechlirinator. ive chosen one with a slime coat in it and it has made the water thicker, the way i kept humidity up before was spraying the side of the glass where my uth is and bamb humidity but now when i spray it slides down so quickly not much humidity so should i spray the glass with the heater on it with untreated water? because i cant have two water decholinators one with and one with out slime coat it would be too difiult. or should i not worry about it? especialy if i add the air pump to the pools. ok thank you!
Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to

Keg

Post by Keg » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:25 am

paperheartzIf I was a crab, I might drown in those. Too deep and slippery. I think it's easier not to submerge things in water because the trays need to be wiped out every couple of days.My crab gets irritable when I mist the tank by hand, no matter how indirectly. As to whether a bubbler works, just use a digital hygrometer and that will answer the question more accurately.

Topic author
jenok

Post by jenok » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:38 am

http://landhermitcrabs.com/eve...4102988/m/5404095538 http://landhermitcrabs.com/eve...4102988/m/9851075222 Here are a couple of threads from others doing what your talking about. There are countless ways to do it. I'm not sure if the stresscoat in your drops will clog up your airstones or not but that is something to consider - probably trial and error. Also what goes in the pool most be cleaned regularly with the pool. Unless you have jumbos you could probably do smaller pools with the same affect. The fan in my opinion should be fine but I don't think I would glue the fan cuz it would be harder to clean that way.What your considering is a form of bubbler and it will help with the humidity probably enough you'll have to keep a portion of your saran wrap off for circulation of the air itself.

paperheartz

Post by paperheartz » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:20 am

@Keg i know it is deep and slipery thats why i need to put things in the bowls to make it easier for them to get out so they dont drown. I actually needed something deeper for my fresh water and not as deep as the one i have for my salt water so i really liked these when i picked them out. And i glued aquarium gravel to the salt water container i have right now and i glued a plastic plant to it and they have used the plant to get out so i dont see the problem in having things in the bowls. then i go to clean them i boil them maybe once a month of month and a half but on a normal more frequent change i get boiling water and pour it in to rinse it out then i spray it to get the crevices. then rinse it out again. and ya i want to stop having to spray every day if i can get the bubbler to help with humidity but for now untili get that in there i wanted to know if spraying the glass with not dechlorinated water would be bad. or i should @jenokthank you for the links i already had read those but i reread them and it helped a little. and i never thought about that. i will keep an eye out for incasse the stress coat cloggs the air stone. if it did would i have to replace the whole pump of just the stone? and what should i look out for and how long? like if i havent seen any bad signs in X amount of time im in the clear. and i know the pools have to be deep enough to fully submerge in so i need the sizes i posted because i have big crab. and the rest only get smaller. so ya kinda gotta think about all of them. so i would still like to know what i can put in the water safly without molding or anything other than plastic. but i just wont glue it so i can clean it regularly as you said. and sorry if i made it seem like i was going to glue a fan to the tank im not planning that. my question was with the bubbler in there would i even need a fan? or just keeping the seran wrap up would be enough? and also since my pools would be right under the light bar sitting on the tank would it damage the light since the only thing that would be between the bubbler pools and the light is a screen? thanks for all your help btw i know this is alot of questions and im a little disorganized in asking them. im a little bad with language right now been under alot of stress.
Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to

Topic author
jenok

Post by jenok » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:19 am

Airstones can be purchased separately. Not sure how long or if the stones would get clogged from the stress coat, basically just keep an eye on them every few weeks to see if they are putting out less bubbles. I don't think it will cause a problem with the light it should have enough room where the splash from the airstone bubbles won't hit it. The best way I can think of to check would be put your hand between the pool and the light to see if any water gets on your hand. If it does you should probably move the pools or the lights. You shouldn't have any condensation(water buildup) on the lights so that shouldn't be a problem.Pretty sure the fan would be ok if you can place it in the bowl without gluing it so you can clean the bowl and the fan separate or if you notice the fan causing stains or getting stains you can remove and use something else. Also I believe I remember reading about someone using their nets draped over into the water so the crabs could get in and out but it allowed the net to transfer water from the bowl to the substrate (EE/sand) so they had to fill the bowl more often.

paperheartz

Post by paperheartz » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:26 am

ok thank you for all your help. sorry i had like a lot of questions all at once. its just i didnt have money to do anything for them and now that i have a little extra money my pets are my first piority so all the questions i had before that werent relivant because i could not do anything about it even if i wanted to now became relivant all at once. i had the net draped into the water at one point but itt soaked the whole net and i was afraid itt would mold so i took it out. and is the fan nessesary or would just leaving the seran wrap half up be enough for air circulatoin?

Topic author
jenok

Post by jenok » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:22 am

quote:Originally posted by paperheartz: and is the fan nessesary or would just leaving the seran wrap half up be enough for air circulatoin? Not sure what you mean by this. You don't need a fan for circulation. And when you put in the bubble stones you'll have to have a gauge to measure the humidity. Then uncover a little at a time of the saran wrap on the lid to get the humidity stable in the tank without having too much or to little. Without out the gauge this will be very difficult to do.Air circulation in the tank basically helps control the humidity level too much air flow you will have a lower humidity. Not enough air flow the humidity will be to high and/or get stale/musty and smelly like a closet you only open once a year.Does that make since and help you?

paperheartz

Post by paperheartz » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:12 am

Yes thank you