To Humungarsaur, my first and favorite crab

Where to post about the loss of your beloved pet hermit crabs. Replies are not permitted in this forum; please PM a member with your condolences for his or her loss.

Topic author

To Humungarsaur, my first and favorite crab

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:58 pm

I brought Humungarsaur (named by my son!) at the beginning of April, and I had no idea what I was getting myself into. He was one of four. Luckily we soon visited our local City Farm where there is a Hermie Fan who takes good care of the stores hermies and has detailed handouts on what is required to pook after a hermie. Humungasaur was different to the others, very very active, always climbing, he use to hook his claw into the tank roof and just hang there for a while. He was out and about much much more then the others. We loved watching him. Soon I decided we needed a bigger tank, we were hooked! Unfortunately I have been having some problems getting the tank conditions just right which led to the tank getting overwet and needing the substrate changed every six weeks, the last time, three days ago I disturbed Humungasaurs moult and his exoskeleton fell off. I did not know what to do, I didn't know this website then. I thought the danger was stress, I didn't know the other crabs would kill him. I reburied him and the next day he was in pieces. He was killed by my ignorance. Now I know what to do but too late for Humungasaur. For six months we had him, for six months he scuttled around, with no fear of us at all, because of him I fell in love with Hermies. I am so sorry.