So discouraged... :(

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
SBLGO2014

So discouraged... :(

Post by SBLGO2014 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:49 pm

In the last couple of weeks we've lost two hermies... Spike wasn't looking healthy and then died. Olaf, looked like he wanted to molt for awhile and I found him completely out of his shell and sitting lifeless next to it. He had the death smell. We got a new crab yesterday that looked healthy. I bought him yesterday afternoon and went to change out the food tonight and noticed he hadn't moved all day. When I picked him up he practically fell out of his shell and is limp. I detected a faint fishy smell. I'm pretty sure he's dead. He looked like he hadn't molted all that long ago.

I just don't understand it. We keep all of the ideal conditions, we don't disturb the crabs and they get fresh foods and water. How does the crab die in less then 24 hours when he looked healthy? I don't know what to do. I have 5 down molting (presumably) and one tiny guy that just came up from a molt. I'm just worried that they're all going to die too. I left Jack Skellington (the new allegedly dead crab) in the tank, but am not holding out much hope.
New Mom of 4 PP's: Spike, Bumble, Little Grouchy and Olaf.

singlemomwithcrab

Re: So discouraged... :(

Post by singlemomwithcrab » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:55 pm

If you fill out this templet, maybe we can spot something for you.

Pictures of your crabitat would help as well.

http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 27&t=46102

http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 27&t=46102
"Do or Do Not. There is no try"
50 PPs, 1 E

Topic author
SBLGO2014

Post by SBLGO2014 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:29 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
6" of EE
2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Dual hygrometer/thermometer. Moisture is normally around 80 or higher. Temp is normally between 75 and 85.
3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Under tank heaters mounted on sides of tank. One larger one on the back, small on one end and mini on the other.
4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Both salt and fresh. Use Instant Ocean for the salt water (according to the instructions). Stress coat for the water conditioner.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Organic apples, honey, organic peanut butter, a variety of hermit crab addiction foods, fresh veggies, dried shrimp and krill. Always sprinkle cuddle bone dust on the food.
6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
Just yesterday. The other two who passed I got between 12/23 and 12/28.
7. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
29 gallon tank with a glass lid.
8. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
7 purple pinchers
9. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
10. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No
11. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Haven't cleaned it yet
12. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No sponges
13. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
Nope
14. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
I bathed the crab yesterday in salt water
15. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
Have recently lost two crabs. Bought another yesterday and he looks dead already.
HCADirectors

Blog: View Blog (0)
New Mom of 4 PP's: Spike, Bumble, Little Grouchy and Olaf.

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:38 pm

Your conditions look fine to me. It sounds like post-purchase syndrome (http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 67&t=92531) to me and, unfortunately, there isn't a lot you can do about it other than what you're already doing. Some crabs can recover easier/better from the stress of capture and being kept in bad conditions, and some unfortunately can't.

It's rough and frustrating to lose multiples in a row like that. I'm really sorry :(
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:28 am

Also, crabs purchased during colder months may have been in too cold conditions during shipping. Sometimes it takes a while for the damage to catch up to them. I'm so sorry for your loss. :(