Introducing large PP to colony

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
kornchaser

Introducing large PP to colony

Post by kornchaser » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:13 pm

I've read that you need to ISO your new crabs so they can shell change, molt/de-stress, check for mites, and introduce them to proper care.
All my crabs are molting so it's basically an ISO situation. I've never had a problem with mites from my local Petsmart. And the bigger crabs I get usually take a while before they molt with me. He (guessing) came with no broken pieces or chips and a too small magpie. I'm ordering shells soon for him and Sid just for that reason.
He got a dip in the salt water which freaked him out and he clung to the edge of the bowl for dear life so I left him be.
He seems to be doing okay now with his favorite spot being under the moss pit (Same as Sid) and him just raiding the food which I'm really glad that he's eating.
Anything else I should do?

Also, not an emergency I just thought this template would be a good way to clarify things and not miss any info.

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Straight EE that managed to compress from 6" to about 3". I can't change it until everyone is done molting (Matty, Junior, and Sid are under) and I plan on adding 100lbs of playsand or 50 playsand and more EE. Haven't decided yet...

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
A strip thermometer on the left corner that usually reads 70-76°
A dial hygrometer on the back right inside that usually reads in the 80-90% or Tropical.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
An All Living Things brand UTH along the back left of the tank it goes a couple inches below the sub line and half way across.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Both FW and SW treated with API beta conditioner 1/4 tsp per gallon (I believe). and the SW I make in bulk with a gallon jug and a half cup of instant ocean.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
I feed tons of stuff in variety from day to day:
Radishes and leaves, carrots and leaves, strawberries and leaves, rose petals and leaves, birch leaves, apple skins, apples, bananas, raspberries, blueberries, almonds, flax seeds, pumpkin kernels, oats, lentils, barley, bee pollen, cuttle bone, powdered bugs, spirulina... Etc...

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
A few days, PP

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
No, not with me.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
20gb with mesh lid and styrofoam keeping humidity in and also letting through air flow

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
Sid Large, Junior Medium, Matty Medium and Toby (the one this post is for) Large.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
Currently 4 extras. I'm planning on adding at least 7 more with my Naples order that I'll be making soon.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No. This has become a crab specific realm of the living room.

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
I change water and food about every other day and I used to scape up moss but I took out the moss with everyone molting.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
Nope.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
Just stuff from my 10g crabitat while I'm waiting on my small crabs to finish molting so they can go to my 20g tall.

Any help with making him feel at home would be appreciated!!!

Mommy of 10 PP babies:
Poseidon (Sid), Toby, Matty, Junior, Aries, Kaylee, Turbo, Adrian, Pepper and Flower. RIP Octavius & Fred
-

Moniplined

Re: Introducing large PP to colony

Post by Moniplined » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:15 am

The next day I read this quote.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:46 am

Most likely not, sounds like you have a great crabitat. Nothing that stands out too much, at most see if you can get a reliable temperature gauge. Those strip things = unreliable! Surrounding temperature - outside the tank - will affect it, so will it being "placed" in direct sunlight. Best thing to go for is a digital thermometer or do like the fish tank people do, the mercury (the red/blue liquid that rises or falls due to surrounding temperature).
Just leave him be, continue offering fresh food and water and hopefully he responds well. :)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:24 pm

He seems to be holding up very well :) He made his own little tunnel dirtying up both waters and eating a ton.
Luckily my manager said I can have any size tank as long as it's not full of water... Crabs, lizards, snakes etc is whatever. YAY! So upgrade coming ASAP... Well when they all finish molting. A very very much needed upgrade because my biggest is molting and him being any bigger is just woah, way too big for a 20gb.
Should a 37g tank be okay for 4 crabs? There's two mediums and two larges (maybe an almost jumbo/ x-large after Sid's molt). Should I go bigger?

Mommy of 10 PP babies:
Poseidon (Sid), Toby, Matty, Junior, Aries, Kaylee, Turbo, Adrian, Pepper and Flower. RIP Octavius & Fred
-

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:29 pm

For jumbos, a minimum of a 75 gallon is recommended. At the very least, a 50 gallon (it's odd sized and 18 inches wide) since they need 12 inches of substrate and space to move around in shells that will be 4 inches wide.

The HCA guidelines are:
http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 26&t=92541
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram