Food dish on second level?

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Kermie16

Food dish on second level?

Post by Kermie16 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:51 pm

Does it matter if the food dishes are on the second level or on sub to help reduce mites? I've had a go with food mites and now what looks like may be booklice (thanks to Kaydeelove for ID!)! I have Isopods in the tank. I clean out fresh foods daily and the dry foods that are in a separate dish is changed every 2 days. Anything I can do to lessen the frequency of mites would be great. I know it's an unavoidable issue but would like to lessen the occurrence.

Rawrgeous

Re: Food dish on second level?

Post by Rawrgeous » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:18 pm

I've done so before, if they're hungry they'll find it I figure. :)

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:13 pm

I'm thinking of giving it a shot!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:20 pm

I've always had my food dish on the second level. No problems from me, and I like that the crabs have to "work" for their food a bit - even though most just sleep near the food... Plus it does keep things a bit cleaner!
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:18 pm

Ok cool! I'm going to give it a try. I made a temporary shell shack with a locker crate I found at Walmart for $2.00. I put it over the coco hermie hut and cut openings for hermies to go in and out. Cholla wood zip tied to top edges so shell shack and food on top level. Honestly looks like hermie jail :lol: Gonna have to think of something else more pleasing to look at! Lol!!

Cortnilin

Post by Cortnilin » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:30 pm

I don't know what your setup looks like but I was able to create a pretty cool and spacious second level in my tank using a plastic dish drainer and some locking suction cups. I also got the Flukers Spring loaded bamboo bars to use fo reinforcement on the corners. However, I cut the dish drainer to fit very tightly between the glass and it stays with no problem and I haven't needed the bamboo bars.

Sent hastily from my iPhone....

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:49 pm

Interesting! I will have to look into that too:) Thanks!

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:21 pm

Cortnilin wrote:I don't know what your setup looks like but I was able to create a pretty cool and spacious second level in my tank using a plastic dish drainer and some locking suction cups. I also got the Flukers Spring loaded bamboo bars to use fo reinforcement on the corners. However, I cut the dish drainer to fit very tightly between the glass and it stays with no problem and I haven't needed the bamboo bars.
That dish drainer idea sounds very good. Can you post a picture of the set-up?
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:37 pm

Went to Hobby Lobby today - big mistake but couldn't help it with a 40%off coupon!! :D Got plenty of river rocks and natural seashells along with more fish net. I have a plan (another one lol!) - will see if it works. If it does I will post pics. :D

Cortnilin

Post by Cortnilin » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:14 pm

Crabinski wrote:
Cortnilin wrote:I don't know what your setup looks like but I was able to create a pretty cool and spacious second level in my tank using a plastic dish drainer and some locking suction cups. I also got the Flukers Spring loaded bamboo bars to use fo reinforcement on the corners. However, I cut the dish drainer to fit very tightly between the glass and it stays with no problem and I haven't needed the bamboo bars.
That dish drainer idea sounds very good. Can you post a picture of the set-up?
ImageImageImageImage

It's a little hard to see in my pics, but I have so much in the tank it hides the suction cups and what not. I, obviously, have a tall tank but I am confident that the same concept would apply nicely in any tank depending on decor etc. the trick for me was to cut the dish drainer so it fit very snuggly in between the two sides of glass. The suction cups just add reinforcement, but I think it would stay in place without them. I have a large crab though and didn't want to risk a collapse. The big guy stomps all over it and it won't budge. my crabs have doubled their floor space and love love love the upper deck. Bc my tank is so tall I was also able to add 2 'third' levels. One is a tree (as I am calling it) made by using a basket, some suction cups, and a knot I cut off of a piece of driftwood. The other was a soap dish with a mushroom ledge zip tied to it to create a climb/hide. :)

Cortnilin

Post by Cortnilin » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:57 pm

And I just used a lighter and screwdriver to poke holes in the dish drainer for the suction cups......

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:03 pm

What a great idea! Love the creativity! Will have to keep that in mind for our tat too! Thanks for sharing :D

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:42 pm

Cortnilin wrote:It's a little hard to see in my pics, but I have so much in the tank it hides the suction cups and what not. I, obviously, have a tall tank but I am confident that the same concept would apply nicely in any tank depending on decor etc. the trick for me was to cut the dish drainer so it fit very snuggly in between the two sides of glass. The suction cups just add reinforcement, but I think it would stay in place without them. I have a large crab though and didn't want to risk a collapse. The big guy stomps all over it and it won't budge. my crabs have doubled their floor space and love love love the upper deck. Bc my tank is so tall I was also able to add 2 'third' levels. One is a tree (as I am calling it) made by using a basket, some suction cups, and a knot I cut off of a piece of driftwood. The other was a soap dish with a mushroom ledge zip tied to it to create a climb/hide. :)
This is fabulous! Thank you for the details on how you put the level together and I'm glad that your "big guy stomps all over it" as I also have a big fella and was wondering if it would stand up to his antics.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Cortnilin

Post by Cortnilin » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:01 am

This is fabulous! Thank you for the details on how you put the level together and I'm glad that your "big guy stomps all over it" as I also have a big fella and was wondering if it would stand up to his antics.[/quote]

Thanks! It's worked out extremely well for me :)

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:27 pm

It looks great! Good use of space in that ExoTerra!

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk