tank vs tote??

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
ciaraalston

tank vs tote??

Post by ciaraalston » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:25 am

I've been reading up about totes, and they sound like great crabitats that are much easier (and cheaper) than tanks! I think my 55 is just too narrow, i don't have any depth to really give them space. Totes seem pretty easy to get together AND they come with a lid! :cheer:

Questions:
Would i lose all of my climbing space?
Can my hamster wheel go in? (only 1 crab uses it so far but he loves it too much for me to take it out)
Someone said they won't get enough light in the tote and their molting cycle will get messed up. Is this true?
In the long run, is this an efficient way to keep hermit crabs?

I'd like to hear your opinions on totes. If you've ever used one, what did you like/dislike about it? Did you notice a difference in crab behaviour between being in a tank and being in a tote?

This isn't a definite thing, i'm just curious about the entire experience and wondering if it's worth it in the long run.
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

piratetoothgir

Re: tank vs tote??

Post by piratetoothgir » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:12 pm

I have a large tote for my isopods and would love if it were capable of housing hermit crabs.
They are great for others that cannot afford or fit a glass tank into their living space.
You most likely would lose a lot of climbing space, unless you were to find a tall tote.

Most totes that are taller, aren't as big as others.

Yes, you can fit a hamster wheel inside depending on how you decorate it, and how tall your tote is.
I have never heard of light counteracting with a molt, you can keep crabs without a light just fine.
If you keep the substrate deep, and the humidity and temperature up, everything will be fine!

I have a large Sterlite, 132-quart tote, it's only about 12 inches high, 36 inches long, and 20 inches deep.

I haven't kept hermits in a tote but would like to.
They certainly do work in a pinch and make great living spaces for crabs.
I recommend them, but I don't know what works for you.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:49 pm

ciaraalston wrote:I've been reading up about totes, and they sound like great crabitats that are much easier (and cheaper) than tanks! I think my 55 is just too narrow, i don't have any depth to really give them space. Totes seem pretty easy to get together AND they come with a lid! :cheer:

Questions:
Can my hamster wheel go in? (only 1 crab uses it so far but he loves it too much for me to take it out)
Someone said they won't get enough light in the tote and their molting cycle will get messed up. Is this true?

I'd like to hear your opinions on totes. If you've ever used one, what did you like/dislike about it? Did you notice a difference in crab behaviour between being in a tank and being in a tote?

This isn't a definite thing, i'm just curious about the entire experience and wondering if it's worth it in the long run.
I currently have crabs in a tote... was meaning for it to be short term, but obviously not. ;)

1. Depending on the size of the tote, no. I dont thing so.

2. Like above, depends on size of tote... but most larger totes will be able to fit a wheel without issue.

3. If yours worried about it, a small light bar (I had an LED strip until I broke it) in there for supplemental light. But if you have a 'clear tote' and it is in a room that receives natural light, you should be fine IMO.

4. I think it can be. Its certainly cheaper than some tanks, and its very much airtight and lightweight. A small mod - drill holes - and your pretty much ready to keep crabs.

The one thing I hate is that even though it is clear, it is not clear enough to keep me happy. And also even the largest clear sized tote - around 150 L, so around 40g - isnt large enough for me. But that was comming from the fact I had a 5 footer, so anything was a downgrade.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:20 am

So I've looked at stacking 2 totes on top of each other to give me the depth for molting but also air space for climbing. But has anyone tried a wooden tank? Of course the wood would need to be sealed so the humidity didn't ruin it, and that would have to set for a while before crabs were added.. design wise- The sides and back wooden and the front glass with a hinged wooden lid opening on the top? Here's a pic of a snake enclosure I saw on instagram, it's beautiful and i love the look. For crabs there would be some modifications.....I'd want it to be taller, and of course the front just 1 solid piece of glass that doesn't open, etc.... But the idea is this:

Is it even possible?

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:32 am

A custom wooden tank will cost multiple times more than a used glass tank! We'll be building one whenever we end up moving (sigh) and it's not a cheap endeavor. Wood costs a fortune, safe sealants are 2-part epoxies which are expensive, big pieces of glass are faint-worthy. But, it's the only way to get a big enclosure that is easy to get into. I have bad spinal damage and cannot really bend anymore, so trying to get in and out of a classic tank is fast becoming impossible.

If you want the best deal on a big enclosure, watch for big used tanks on local classifieds. The largest plastic totes are in the 55 gallon range.

Edit: that snake enclosure was probably $600 in materials. Double that if you were buying it pre-made.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:45 am

I agree, wood is super expensive, well stated above.
There’s a lack of clear totes around here, but the largest I found was a black tote of about 50 gallons.
I thought of building a wooden enclosure, but the price of the project stopped me from doing it.

Sent from my IPA1489 using Tapatalk
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:38 am

Two weeks ago I went to Walmart and noticed that they brought back the 50 gallon clear totes from Sterilite, so if that would be something you are interested in then keep an eye out for it! It was only 23 dollars and I'd love to have one but I would have to get rid of my bed to be able to have room for it.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:48 pm

That is a 50 gallon tote on a 55 gallon tank, if it helps. ImageImage
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:19 pm

So basically the 50 gal tote isn't as long as a 55 gal tank, but it has more depth. And if I were to attach another tote on top, I'd have the entire bottom tote as molting space and the entire top tote as climbing air space. So it might actually work better than my 55 gal.
I was discussing this with my significant other, and I told him how I wouldn't be able to see inside as much as my tank now. But when I get close they run and hide, so maybe it's better for them having that blockage. They might feel safer in a tote where it's harder to see.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:52 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
ciaraalston wrote:I've been reading up about totes, and they sound like great crabitats that are much easier (and cheaper) than tanks! I think my 55 is just too narrow, i don't have any depth to really give them space. Totes seem pretty easy to get together AND they come with a lid! :cheer:

Questions:

I currently have crabs in a tote... was meaning for it to be short term, but obviously not. ;)

2. Like above, depends on size of tote... but most larger totes will be able to fit a wheel without issue.

3. If yours worried about it, a small light bar (I had an LED strip until I broke it) in there for supplemental light. But if you have a 'clear tote' and it is in a room that receives natural light, you should be fine IMO.

4. I think it can be. Its certainly cheaper than some tanks, and its very much airtight and lightweight. A small mod - drill holes - and your pretty much ready to keep crabs.

The one thing I hate is that even though it is clear, it is not clear enough to keep me happy. And also even the largest clear sized tote - around 150 L, so around 40g - isnt large enough for me. But that was comming from the fact I had a 5 footer, so anything was a downgrade.

What size tote do you have? Do you have any pictures of it? I'd love to see how you use it!

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:52 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:

Questions:

What size tote do you have? Do you have any pictures of it? I'd love to see how you use it!

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:55 pm

wodesorel wrote:That is a 50 gallon tote on a 55 gallon tank, if it helps. ImageImage

That helped a TON, thank you! I'm beginning to think a tote would be a pretty good way to go for us. My crabs are skittish anyway so they'd be okay without me peering in on them constantly. I'd have no issues with humidity due to the airtight lid (with a little modification of some drill holes!) and i could make it 100 gallons if i stack one on top. I could even cut a hole in the top and seal a light on it to give them a cycle. We have a light for the 10 gal we aren't using. It really seems to be a pretty cost efficient way to go. An entire bottom tote for molting space would also be pretty great for my Es and my big PPs. This isn't something i'm swapping to next week, but i'm definitely going to start prepping for this!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:59 am

ciaraalston wrote:What size tote do you have? Do you have any pictures of it? I'd love to see how you use it!
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

This may help

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:02 am

aussieJJDude wrote:
ciaraalston wrote:What size tote do you have? Do you have any pictures of it? I'd love to see how you use it!
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

This may help

I love it! Thank you so much! :)

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:27 pm

ciaraalston wrote:That helped a TON, thank you! I'm beginning to think a tote would be a pretty good way to go for us. My crabs are skittish anyway so they'd be okay without me peering in on them constantly. I'd have no issues with humidity due to the airtight lid (with a little modification of some drill holes!) and i could make it 100 gallons if i stack one on top. I could even cut a hole in the top and seal a light on it to give them a cycle. We have a light for the 10 gal we aren't using. It really seems to be a pretty cost efficient way to go. An entire bottom tote for molting space would also be pretty great for my Es and my big PPs. This isn't something i'm swapping to next week, but i'm definitely going to start prepping for this!
I would just recommend getting a wooden slab or something to set the bottom tote on top of. That much sand can get HEAVY and I personally feel like having something for the tote to sit on would decrease the chances of the bottom giving out. I think I read someone discussing this before but I could very well be wrong.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/