Covers for your Tank.

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.
Post Reply

Topic author
M.trangtnguyen
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:26 pm

Covers for your Tank.

Post by M.trangtnguyen » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:22 am

I am wonder what everyone is using to cover the top of their tanks to help keep the humidity in.

My husband just cut a piece of polycarbonate for the tank, should we put holes in it? I want to make sure their environment stays humid enough and they are getting enough air flow.

Thanks


amandapri82
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:37 pm

Re: Covers for your Tank.

Post by amandapri82 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:41 am

M.trangtnguyen wrote:I am wonder what everyone is using to cover the top of their tanks to help keep the humidity in.

My husband just cut a piece of polycarbonate for the tank, should we put holes in it? I want to make sure their environment stays humid enough and they are getting enough air flow.

Thanks
Following

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk


User avatar

curlysister
Posts: 1367
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:54 pm
Location: Manitoba, Canada

Re: Covers for your Tank.

Post by curlysister » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:49 am

My current tank has a plexi glass lid. My previous two tanks, I just used saran wrap over the top. It's okay for it to cover the whole lid, they get enough air flow when we open the tank to replace food and water every day or two.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

User avatar

Hermiesguardian
Posts: 2571
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: Covers for your Tank.

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:50 am

That's plexi glass, right? No need to cut holes in it. They get enough air when you feed them every couple of days. Do you have a gauge for temp and humidity?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi


Topic author
M.trangtnguyen
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:26 pm

Re: Covers for your Tank.

Post by M.trangtnguyen » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:04 am

curlysister wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:49 am
My current tank has a plexi glass lid. My previous two tanks, I just used saran wrap over the top. It's okay for it to cover the whole lid, they get enough air flow when we open the tank to replace food and water every day or two.
Thank you


Topic author
M.trangtnguyen
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:26 pm

Re: Covers for your Tank.

Post by M.trangtnguyen » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:05 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:50 am
That's plexi glass, right? No need to cut holes in it. They get enough air when you feed them every couple of days. Do you have a gauge for temp and humidity?
Thank you. Yes I do have have a gauge.

User avatar

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 6489
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:56 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Covers for your Tank.

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:14 pm

I have glass lids on all of mine.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

User avatar

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support
Posts: 9143
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:49 am
Location: Leetonia, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Covers for your Tank.

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:33 pm

I have a screen lid, and covering that is a double layer of cardboard, wrapped in foil, wrapped in a beach pattern fabric so it looks pretty, and then wrapped in thick clear plastic to protect from moisture and my cats. Helps to hold both heat and humidity in the tank, and it's a little puffy so it's the favorite cat bed in the house, too. Was thinking of redoing it with a little stuffing next time. 😂

User avatar

Overmountain1
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:20 pm

Re: Covers for your Tank.

Post by Overmountain1 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:12 am

wodesorel wrote:I have a screen lid, and covering that is a double layer of cardboard, wrapped in foil, wrapped in a beach pattern fabric so it looks pretty, and then wrapped in thick clear plastic to protect from moisture and my cats. Helps to hold both heat and humidity in the tank, and it's a little puffy so it's the favorite cat bed in the house, too. Was thinking of redoing it with a little stuffing next time. Image
How cute is that?! I want a picture! Lol Image pretty please?


ImageDave the Wondercrab~Pat~MaggieMoo~Billy~
Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~Tim~GeneImage My PP clan

User avatar

Motörcrab
Posts: 1198
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:56 pm
Location: Coal Region in Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Covers for your Tank.

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:52 am

Plus the weight of the cat on top will keep the crabs from escaping!

We use glass lids on all our tanks. I think they are well worth the investment.

I also use a plexiglass top on half of my 75. There is a large diameter hole in the center. I use that for the UVB bulb so there is nothing blocking the ray's. It works fine from late spring through early fall when the humidity in the house is high. When it's winter I need to go back to glass tops on both sides.
Help Improve Our Resources Section (weblinks)
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 2&t=119315

Once we get more links the directors will update the resources in a few weeks. Thanks!


Scarletfire
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:44 am
Location: ON

Re: Covers for your Tank.

Post by Scarletfire » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:55 pm

I have glass pieces that slide over each other. Withy tank being 4 ft long, I have 2 sets of sliding glass lids to prevent too much humidity from escaping while changing food/water, etc.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk



jvs1120
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:49 pm

Re: Covers for your Tank.

Post by jvs1120 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:06 am

Glad Wrap, Press and Seal, works great! I leave a little space for airflow even though they say you don’t need to. I’m hoping that it will cut down on mold growth.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Reply