Discolored hole in carapace

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Lephantome92

Discolored hole in carapace

Post by Lephantome92 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:58 pm

After being temperamental for at least a week, another of my straws has sadly passed on. Before its demise, it wouldn't stay in any shell I helped it into, and even had its original shell stolen. At first I thought it may have been going into the dreaded surface moult because its eyes were pale. However, upon its passing (verified by lack of response to being touched, but not a fishy smell), I saw this discolored hole. Is it something contagious that I should worry about the other crabs? Also, is this what a normal abdomen looks like on a straw? I know they're more or less solid on PPs, so I'm not sure

AwesomeHermit

Re: Discolored hole in carapace

Post by AwesomeHermit » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:02 pm

I remember some crabs in archives died because of those, but one of my crabs had those and regenerated a cover up of the hole within 2 molts.
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:27 am

Hrmm... how long have you had that crab?

Discolouration seems like shell rot, but you get that more on claws and legs, whereas that hole brings to mind a bird's attack. (Not that you can't have shell rot on the carapace.)

Shell rot can be contagious, but can be molted away. Iso, feed healing foods, & watch your other crabs for discolourations is standard treatment.

Some crabbers have claimed success using antibacterial baths using .... gosh, what was it... I think myrrh? I actually think that was it. Try searching shell rot &/or myrrh for more info on that, or for other treatments crabbers have used and thought helped.

I've never encountered it myself, only seen pictures & some sad, black-spotted brachyuran crabs at an aquarium. Rot can be spread via contact with uncooked dietary crustacean that is contaminated. May be interesting to look up how commercial fisheries deal with it, as they must encounter it where they don't want it at times.

Every now and then a crabber pops up on a forum with a crab (sometime a few) who has a spot on its claw, but I've not seen many shots of larger holes like that. Injury seems likely to me, unless you'd seen his rear recently & it was clean.

As for the abdomen... it looks like other straw butt I've seen, but I'm not a perlatus chick. :?
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:13 am

I had a PP with 2 of those markings on it. The post may even be archived here but they'd healed over (probably via a molt) and the consensus at the time was that it was possibly a puncture wound or injury from another crab trying to steal it's shell that was closing up after molts.

For what it's worth, the crab has been with us for going on 4 years now and appears healthy.

***Edited to add that Wode suggested that it could have been from a parasite as well.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:14 am

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... p?t=104192

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:44 am

My crab also generated the hole during the first molt.
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!