What's your favorite Books?

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:09 am

Mine are The Silmarillion, The Hobbit, The Lord of The Rings works by J.R.R Tolkien, The Thomas Covenant Series One and Two by Stephen R. Donaldson, Dune and Children of Dune by Frank Herbert and The Legend of Drizt by R.A Salvatore.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:35 pm

Some of Stephen king and then I like random authors..No rhyme or rhythm to them. Just open the flap and read it if it sounds good read it..

Keg

Post by Keg » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:40 am

The last one I enjoyed was:Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His TimeI would like to read more of Asimov's "Science Essay Collections" when I get time.

paperheartz

Post by paperheartz » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:26 am

The dark tower series by Stephen King and regulatorsAlso a fault in our stars
Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to

Herman Coen

Post by Herman Coen » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:21 pm

One of my favorites was the true account of Ernest Shackelton and the attempt to get to the south pole.

DiTo

Re: What's your favorite Books?

Post by DiTo » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:40 am

Crabber85 wrote:Mine are The Silmarillion, The Hobbit, The Lord of The Rings works by J.R.R Tolkien, The Thomas Covenant Series One and Two by Stephen R. Donaldson, Dune and Children of Dune by Frank Herbert and The Legend of Drizt by R.A Salvatore.
So funny. I came into this forum specifically to see if anyone had a book thread. Mine favorite also happens to be the Lord of the Rings and I also love The Hobbit, The Silmarillion not to mention the rest of Tolkiens unfinished and lost tails. I currently re-reading the Lord of the Rings for probably the 100th time. Recently read The Hobbit to my kids as our bed time story. I also love Stephen King, my favorite being The Dark Tower.

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:56 am

While this thread is pretty well aged, it also seems like a good one, so I'll follow suit:

Virginia Woolf, To The Lighthouse

Carl Zimmer, Parasite Rex (not a novel - science journalism. About parasites. Parasites are amazing.)

Jane Austen, anything

Robert Graves, I Claudius
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:02 am

DiTo, have you read Tolkien's Santa Clause story that he wrote for his kids? It's delightful.

Also, Beowulf (the crazy-old anglo-Saxon poem) was influential upon Tolkien's writing (as I'm sure you know, he was a scholar of anglo-saxon)... anyhow, he has a very enjoyable essay, entitled Beowulf & The Critics, if you ever feel like getting into that. Modern translations of Beowulf are interesting, too! :)
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

DiTo

Post by DiTo » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:07 am

LadyJinglyJones wrote:DiTo, have you read Tolkien's Santa Clause story that he wrote for his kids? It's delightful.

Also, Beowulf (the crazy-old anglo-Saxon poem) was influential upon Tolkien's writing (as I'm sure you know, he was a scholar of anglo-saxon)... anyhow, he has a very enjoyable essay, entitled Beowulf & The Critics, if you ever feel like getting into that. Modern translations of Beowulf are interesting, too! :)

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm embarrassed to say I never knew he had a Santa story. I will definitely check that out. Wish I knew that during christmas time. I have read his Beowulf a long time ago. I'm on a Tolkien kick currently and plan on re-reading through everything I have. (I read the hobbit and lotr at least once a year) I don't own Beowulf but maybe ill download a kindle version if it's available.
thanks again.

he-man

Post by he-man » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:17 pm

WARRIOR CATS FOREVER! The serries of many books is written by the team called the Erin Hunters.

Lothlorien

Post by Lothlorien » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:40 am

Right now I'm reading a book of Lucinda Riley. Before that I read A man called Ove or someting like that, by a Swedish author. I loved that book!

SonnyRayTWH

Post by SonnyRayTWH » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:34 pm

I LOVE Wings of Fire by Tui T Sutherland and any book that really involves sci-fy, fantasy, or animals. Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton was also a good read, though it took me all summer break!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhimsyMimsyMo

Post by WhimsyMimsyMo » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:07 pm

I tend to like fantasy series where there's good world building, but I've bookwormed through pretty much anything. I go through books like a shark goes through teeth because I read so quickly, which kinda sucks because I also remember like.... everything. So I can't read the same book twice.... and books aren't cheap.

CrabbyMommy2017

Post by CrabbyMommy2017 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:37 am

I know im not going with the flow here, but here's my favs.

Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead and Anthem, by Ayn Rand (although i Dont believe in her philosophies!, these were still great books).

The Power of Positive Thinking, by Norman Vincent Peale (opposite direction there, i know, but still, great book!).

The Business of Happiness by Ted Leonsis (an excellent autobiographical story of this man's journey to find happiness).

The Education of Little Tree by Forrest Carter (a great story of a little boy raised by his Native American grandparents).

Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar by Thomas Cathcart and Daniel Klein (a hilarious breakdown of philosophy, a must read! Laughed my butt off through the whole read. Couldn't hardly put it down).

Just a few of my favorites. Since having kids I don't get a whole lot of time to read anymore. When I do it's mostly books about raising children with special needs.
Looking to Re-Home my 8 crabs (55 gal & 10 gal)
Please read my adoption post:
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 2&t=115198
Our Family Motto For 2017:
Cultivate Happiness and Give Thanks Daily