3 PP and some questions!

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
bmer

3 PP and some questions!

Post by bmer » Mon May 01, 2017 11:21 am

Hello,

I’m from Montreal Canada.
New to crabbing for the pass 2-3 month.
Just got my first crab to molt :) after going naked now back in is old shell.

Is it me or a 29 gallon with all the sub + 2 pool + moss pit + climbing place + shell + food plate + fake plant and hideout now look real small.
Got 3 PP’s, I would class them as Big, small and mini (1.5, ½ and ¼ inch shell opening)

I have so many questions that I hope can get answer here :D sorry if I seam all over the place. I love those guys and really try to get them the best environment as possible.

I have a moss pit that is elevated by plastic craft mesh. My bigger guy is ALWAYS in it, he does not move from it. (I see him move sometime in it or just chilling with is face out of is shell) I’m sure at some point he went out because when he’s moving around he’s making a mess.

I put fresh food every day 2 days, change dry food ones a week. Change water and all. I don’t see them eating at all like NEVER. I have cuttlebone and crush oyster shell.
1. Also put leaf litter from my ward (Tilia, basswood https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilia) is it safe?
2. Never see any crab eating any food + I don’t see the food despairing? Is this normal ? I have try all sort of food: chicken, eggs, mango, apple, carrot, zucchini, cabbage, salad, rice, bean, Millet, Oats, dried, red shrimp, dried bloodworms, chia seed ++
3. Can I pick up my crab from the moss pit and put them over the food?
4. Is it ok if I pick a crab up and show it to the kid and let him walk around the bed for example?
5. Should I finely shop food for them or chunk of chicken or watermelon, apple is ok? Will they cut it with there claw or directly eat at it?
6. My Crabitat is in the basement in my home office, every morning I open the blind to let the sun come in but its in the basement so there is not a LOT of sun. Should I get a UVB ligh? Cant find a light braket that would fit under the glass lid. any suggestions?
7. Shell that have 1,5 shell opening are SO expensive like 15-17$ with shipping its close to 20$ am I expected to provide my crab with 5-6 options? Or 1 or 2 is ok? Oval shell opening are way cheaper, is it ok?
8. My ½ inch shell opening crab just recently molted then went naked then back to is old shell after I clean it. I now have 7 + beautiful shell in the tank. He did not pick one yet? Is it normal ? could he pick one at any time?
9. If I look at the guideline I could potentially have 6 PP in my 29 gallons tank? or is it better to stop at 4?

I’m not that concern… I mean I am but how I see it is : I provide them with all they need then they will do what they want with it right? I wish I could adopt crab I did some research did not found any in the Montreal area :(

I will share picture of my setup and crab later this week :D

Please to meet you all :D

LadyJinglyJones

Re: 3 PP and some questions!

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Mon May 01, 2017 2:57 pm

YAAAAAAAAAAY! Another Canadian!! Woot! :clap:

Welcome!!

As for seeing them eat... don't worry. :)

It was four months before I saw mine in the act of taking food from their dishes. They take the teeniest of bites, so it's not unusual for the food to look untouched. If your big guy is cozy in the moss, just leave him. Crabs can smell their food if it's humid enough, so he knows where it is.
He's just doing him.

What are your temperature & humidity? Lower temps slow their metabolisms down, and they may eat less if the tank is under 80°.

Also, before a moult a crab may slow down and eat less. (Or eat more. There's no telling with crabs. :wink: )

I personally wouldn't take the crab out of its tank. It'll frighten it... they are prey animals & being picked up is reminiscent of being attacked by a predator.

Big shells can get expensive. Can you post a picture of the ones you've got? Americans have way more options than we do, but I might be able to suggest something.

Where did you get your shells? And are you familiar with the online store, The Canadian Crab Connection?

Crabs can be picky about shells. They modify the shells to make them roomier & lighter. But they'll change in their own time. You can never have too many shells. Some people have tons & rotate batches of them in and out of the tat to keep the crabs interested. I'd try for five per crab at least. It gives them lots of options.

Also, I'd personally stop at four crabs. But not everyone would.

I haven't read any thing conclusively proving that crabs need UVB for their health, although I know it's a popular idea among crabbers. And it makes sense - most animals benefit from UVB, or even need it. I'd say it's up to you and how you feel about it.

I do imagine that these tropical creatures miss natural sunlight if they can't access it, even though they're mostly nocturnal.

I'm looking forward to seeing your set up!! :D
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

HeyItsEggs

Post by HeyItsEggs » Mon May 01, 2017 3:19 pm

\
Last edited by HeyItsEggs on Mon May 01, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sophia aka "Eggs"
Four PPs, Rio, Rolo, Curlz and Malibu in a 40 gallon
May they rest in peace- Mango- 1/13/17 and Stefanio- 1/10/17

HeyItsEggs

Post by HeyItsEggs » Mon May 01, 2017 3:20 pm

Hi! Welcome to the HCA! I replied with E for HeyItsEggs
bmer wrote:Hello,

I’m from Montreal Canada.
New to crabbing for the pass 2-3 month.
Just got my first crab to molt :) after going naked now back in is old shell.

Is it me or a 29 gallon with all the sub + 2 pool + moss pit + climbing place + shell + food plate + fake plant and hideout now look real small.
Got 3 PP’s, I would class them as Big, small and mini (1.5, ½ and ¼ inch shell opening)

I have so many questions that I hope can get answer here :D sorry if I seam all over the place. I love those guys and really try to get them the best environment as possible.

I have a moss pit that is elevated by plastic craft mesh. My bigger guy is ALWAYS in it, he does not move from it. (I see him move sometime in it or just chilling with is face out of is shell) I’m sure at some point he went out because when he’s moving around he’s making a mess.

I put fresh food every day 2 days, change dry food ones a week. Change water and all. I don’t see them eating at all like NEVER. I have cuttlebone and crush oyster shell.
1. Also put leaf litter from my ward (Tilia, basswood https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilia) is it safe?
E: Only certain leaves are safe, like oak and maple for example.
2. Never see any crab eating any food + I don’t see the food despairing? Is this normal ? I have try all sort of food: chicken, eggs, mango, apple, carrot, zucchini, cabbage, salad, rice, bean, Millet, Oats, dried, red shrimp, dried bloodworms, chia seed ++
E: Since you have basically just got them, they might be stressed, hermit crabs should eat when they need to.
3. Can I pick up my crab from the moss pit and put them over the food?
E: Hermit crabs can do everything by theirselves. It is not necessary to move them
4. Is it ok if I pick a crab up and show it to the kid and let him walk around the bed for example?
E: You can let it walk on the bed but make sure it doesn't fall of, just be careful
5. Should I finely shop food for them or chunk of chicken or watermelon, apple is ok? Will they cut it with there claw or directly eat at it?
E: Whatever you want, some crabs will pick at it and others want it pre- cut. You can check out the safe list under the "Food and Water" category on the forum.
6. My Crabitat is in the basement in my home office, every morning I open the blind to let the sun come in but its in the basement so there is not a LOT of sun. Should I get a UVB ligh? Cant find a light braket that would fit under the glass lid. any suggestions?
E: UVBs do some for the heat, but zap humidity. Make sure your heat is over 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
7. Shell that have 1,5 shell opening are SO expensive like 15-17$ with shipping its close to 20$ am I expected to provide my crab with 5-6 options? Or 1 or 2 is ok? Oval shell opening are way cheaper, is it ok?
E: PPs prefer circle openings, you can buy bulk from craft stores, but need at least three fitting options per crab
8. My ½ inch shell opening crab just recently molted then went naked then back to is old shell after I clean it. I now have 7 + beautiful shell in the tank. He did not pick one yet? Is it normal ? could he pick one at any time?
E: They can pick at anytime, I wouldn't worry
9. If I look at the guideline I could potentially have 6 PP in my 29 gallons tank? or is it better to stop at 4?
E: 5 gallons per medium and under crab, 7 for large and 15 for jumbo, I would stop at 5
I’m not that concern… I mean I am but how I see it is : I provide them with all they need then they will do what they want with it right? I wish I could adopt crab I did some research did not found any in the Montreal area :(

I will share picture of my setup and crab later this week :D

Please to meet you all :D
Sophia aka "Eggs"
Four PPs, Rio, Rolo, Curlz and Malibu in a 40 gallon
May they rest in peace- Mango- 1/13/17 and Stefanio- 1/10/17

Raidz97

Post by Raidz97 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:08 am

Hello and welcome to he forum. I Saw many people have chimed in and answered most of your questions. So not really more I can add to except were to buy huge shells at a rather cheap price. I recently purchased a 2 inch opening shell from a seller called MyGann(spell it just like that) on amazon. He/she also has etsy and ebay shops. Back to the Shell, it cost me $9 USD with free shipping(Yes!!!). I dont know if shipping to canada is available but I will check and update in a bit.

Update: From what I could see they do ship to Canada