Gnat infestation

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
AJadams

Gnat infestation

Post by AJadams » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:14 pm

I have 3 hermies that I’ve had for about 2 months and I need to get rid of the gnats that are infesting the tank but the problem is I need to resubstrate and by some miracle all three of my crabs are molting at the same time. Can someone tell me how to Resubstrate the tank without killing the molting hermit crabs?
I can provide a picture of needed

Topic author
AJadams

Cleaning problem

Post by AJadams » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:39 pm

Tank is filling with mold and tons of gnats I need to clean ASAP but all 3 crabs are molting what do I do ????

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cleaning problem

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:46 pm

Just spot clean to get rid of mould and remove uneaten foods to control gnats for the meantime.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
AJadams

Post by AJadams » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:01 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:Just spot clean to get rid of mould and remove uneaten foods to control gnats for the meantime.

I have tried there is no food in the tank for a few days and now there are gnats all over the house

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Gnat infestation

Post by JoeHermits » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:02 pm

What are you using for a substrate? You shouldn’t have to replace it unless there’s a flood or bacterial bloom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
AJadams

Post by AJadams » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:04 pm

JoeHermits wrote:What are you using for a substrate? You shouldn’t have to replace it unless there’s a flood or bacterial bloom.

I am using about 5 inches of play sand and 1 inch of play sand forest moss mix, I’m changing because I’m having a problem with humidity

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:15 pm

For a quick boost, you could wrap seran wrap around the lid if it’s a screen cover. If it’s glass or plexiglass you could wrap around the entire top of the tank if it’s not air tight.

Moss is also an excellent humidity booster. Place it in a container so the substrate doesn’t sap it dry.

If you want to get fancy, you can buy an aquarium air pump and drop a few air stones into the water dishes.

Topic author
AJadams

Post by AJadams » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:23 pm

JoeHermits wrote:For a quick boost, you could wrap seran wrap around the lid if it’s a screen cover. If it’s glass or plexiglass you could wrap around the entire top of the tank if it’s not air tight.

Moss is also an excellent humidity booster. Place it in a container so the substrate doesn’t sap it dry.

If you want to get fancy, you can buy an aquarium air pump and drop a few air stones into the water dishes.

Whenever I had Seran wrap on the top beforeit made my mold problem even worse than it is now and that still doesn’t solve the gnat problem either they’re starting to show up all over the house. Another reason I want to resubstrate I’m having issues with mold and I cannot get rid of it at all

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:35 pm

Mold won’t harm the hermit crabs, but it will grow more as the humidity rises. Has your hygrometer been calibrated?

There’s no food buried somewhere, is there?

I’ve heard of people dealing with small flying insects with vinegar traps. Create a 50/50 solution of apple cider vinegar and water. Then add a few drops of dish soap and a sprinkling of sugar, and leave it sit where the insects can find it.

Topic author
AJadams

Post by AJadams » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:40 pm

JoeHermits wrote:Mold won’t harm the hermit crabs, but it will grow more as the humidity rises. Has your hygrometer been calibrated?

There’s no food buried somewhere, is there?

I’ve heard of people dealing with small flying insects with vinegar traps. Create a 50/50 solution of apple cider vinegar and water. Then add a few drops of dish soap and a sprinkling of sugar, and leave it sit where the insects can find it.

That’s great help I will do that but I removed the first inch of the substrate about 2 weeks ago to try and remove the mold but I didn’t see any food while doing so but the mold just came back

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:45 pm

Maybe a few bowls of vinegar with a few drops of dish soap scattered around the house - and tank - to kill then off and allow easy removal?

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:48 pm

With the gnat trap...the way I was taught to do it. Was to use a water bottle. Cut the top off. You invert it and olace it back in the bottle. You do the apple cider vinegar sugar and soap at the bottom. They can fly in but not out.

Sent from my LGL157BL using Tapatalk
I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Gnat infestation

Post by JoeHermits » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:50 pm

Saltwater can reduce mold growth. That’s why many crabbers recommend soaking coconut fiber in saltwater.

You could try filling a spray bottle with saltwater and give the mold a spritz. If the mold is really bad you can try a stronger solution. Double strength marine solution in the substrate won’t harm the crabs. Can’t promise anything but it’s worth a shot.

Edited to get past the bots.

Last edited by JoeHermits on Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
AJadams

Post by AJadams » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:52 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:Maybe a few bowls of vinegar with a few drops of dish soap scattered around the house - and tank - to kill then off and allow easy removal?

Will do, but what about mold

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:54 pm

JoeHermits wrote:Saltwater can ***** mold growth. That’s why many crabbers recommend soaking coconut fiber in saltwater.

You could try filling a spray bottle with saltwater and give the mold a spritz. If the mold is really bad you can try a stronger solution. Double strength marine solution in the substrate won’t harm the crabs. Can’t promise anything but it’s worth a shot.

I’m being censored. I used a word meaning “delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment.” No vulgar language here.