I HAVE ZOEAE!!!!!

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

crabby33

Re: I HAVE ZOEA!!!!!

Post by crabby33 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:57 pm

GotButterflies, I can’t wait to hear if you have successfully gotten your PP Zoea to land to choose their first shells.

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:32 pm

Thank you :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:58 am

If that does happen, these would be your first ever captive bred PPs.

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:18 pm

So the past few days I have noticed a huge surge in activity with my Es. I figured I had better set up the Kriesel that I made after last years attempt. Well, last year it held water. Yesterday, when I put it in my saltwater tank, it came loose on the one side. I figured I had time to deal with it. Boy was I wrong...

By the way - I don't handle my crabs - I have no idea who is female - who is male - who has eggs and who doesn't. Well, I came home today to find hundreds if not a thousand zoea in the saltwater pool. I just finished setting up everything. I am so exhausted. I've been up since 5am today because my hubby had to have surgery today. Looks like I really won't be setting up that 150 gallon in the near future! I'm not complaining though! Hopefully these guys make it! They are really active! :hearts:
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

AgentK25

Post by AgentK25 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:46 pm

GotButterflies wrote:So the past few days I have noticed a huge surge in activity with my Es. I figured I had better set up the Kriesel that I made after last years attempt. Well, last year it held water. Yesterday, when I put it in my saltwater tank, it came loose on the one side. I figured I had time to deal with it. Boy was I wrong...

By the way - I don't handle my crabs - I have no idea who is female - who is male - who has eggs and who doesn't. Well, I came home today to find hundreds if not a thousand zoea in the saltwater pool. I just finished setting up everything. I am so exhausted. I've been up since 5am today because my hubby had to have surgery today. Looks like I really won't be setting up that 150 gallon in the near future! I'm not complaining though! Hopefully these guys make it! They are really active! :hearts:
I hope hubby is feeling ok and all went well with his surgery!

HOLEY COWS!! I can't wait to follow your latest zoea journey! Have everything crossed for you!!! :banana:
Devoted Mom to 1 macaw, 1 cat, and 9 PPs

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

I HAVE ZOEA!!!!!

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:56 am

Day 2: They are doing great! So I am rearing them inside of my 10 gallon saltwater fish tank that just has a piece of live rock in. I have them in a round goldfish bowl. Then I have two quart mason jars filled with clean msw. Power head circulating the water, temp set to 82, uvb light on them. Sorry for the glare, but I had the flashlight on them, and the bubbler off because I was getting ready to do their water change. I have a video too, but I'm not sure how to attach that...Image

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:05 am

AgentK25 wrote:
I hope hubby is feeling ok and all went well with his surgery!

HOLEY COWS!! I can't wait to follow your latest zoea journey! Have everything crossed for you!!! :banana:
Hubby is doing great, thank you! :)

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:46 am

Okay - here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SuXUEptYNM

It's short and sweet. It is from right after I took the video. :)

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:37 am

Day 4 - They are still doing great. I have just been swamped. I have been uploading daily videos to YouTube. Day 4's video is 2 minutes, so it is still processing.

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:21 am

Day 5 ~ here is a link to the daily video I made showing what they look like today before my water change :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uUIJ5dGobQ

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:48 pm

Day 7 ~ Everything is going great! My son has had baseball all weekend so I haven't had time to post, but I've taken videos every day. I made a video this morning of them eating decapsulated brine shrimp. I'm pretty sure they shed again. The water was dirty with exos this evening. :)

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:42 pm

Hello again! Day 8 - going great! Here is my youtube channel - I have been posting daily videos. I also posted one of them eating, and I am getting ready to post one of my set up. :) Thank you for any well wishes!!! :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNmSjm ... _as=public

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:37 pm

Day 8 going good. Image
This is their diet. In the jars are organic spirulina and organic chlorella powder :) The bottle of Kent is vitamins for invertebrates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:38 am

Yesterday was a crazy day, which is why I didn't post - it was just hectic! Anyways - I'm on day 10. I moved the zoeae to a different glass bowl via siphon so I could wipe out their bowl. Then I siphoned them back. I also visited my local small marine fish shop, and purchased some live algae from her. They seem to like that. My numbers have definitely dwindled. I'm not sure what is going on. I'm not finding bodies - so they must be eating each other. I guess I need to increase the feedings. The link above has all of my daily videos. :)

Edit: I've been texting with Mary just like last time. Hopefully we will be successful!

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:12 pm

So exciting! Sending prayers, luck, and love from all of us. <3

♡Rod ♡Salty ♡Bubbles(Bob)♡Squirt ♡Crabina(Peanut)♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->