First successful molt

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
nonamelikethis

First successful molt

Post by nonamelikethis » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:09 am

I checked on puddles this morning, and it turns out what she was doing was pre molt and as soon as I made the tank darker she "shedded" her exoskeleton! Shes already made progress on eating it and I cant wait for her to come out!

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using Tapatalk
I love my pets. (Hank, my dog. Cookie, my cat, Fishy, my only fish left :(, and now 2 purple pincher hermit crabs, Bubbles and Puddles)

Jamison

Re: First successful molt

Post by Jamison » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:27 am

CONGRATS!
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:00 pm

Did Puddles molt on the surface? If so, that is not normal and you need to isolate her.
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
nonamelikethis

Post by nonamelikethis » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:38 pm

Underground! The only reason I can see her is because she dug ALL the way down so I can see her under my tank. This was her a few days ago... I haven't gotten any recent pics because I dont wanna have the flash on and disturb herImage

I love my pets. (Hank, my dog. Cookie, my cat, Fishy, my only fish left :(, and now 2 purple pincher hermit crabs, Bubbles and Puddles)

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:22 pm

Congrats on successful molt! It’s such a relief knowing they’re ok.

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:43 pm

Ok, thanks for clarifying.
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
nonamelikethis

Post by nonamelikethis » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:03 pm

No problem! Sadly my other crab bubbles passed away. So as soon as puddles is done molting and is strengthed enough I will get her some friends, which brings me to a question. Are hermit crabs territorial? Will I have to worry about Puddles attacking new crabs I put in there?

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:06 pm

I’m sorry you lost your other crabby friend. No they should be ok, dip your new friend in water to wash off any unfamiliar smells so Puddles will be ok with them. They do establish a pecking order and will bat antennae. Keep an eye out for aggressive fights when you first get them and try to pick others a few sizes smaller or bigger to prevent shell fights.

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«

Topic author
nonamelikethis

Post by nonamelikethis » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:13 pm

Update on Puddles: I checked on her today and I actually saw her moving and eating a little piece of her exoskeleton! It was so cool!