Molting E in Bacterial Bloom & Lost Limbs

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Motörcrab

Molting E in Bacterial Bloom & Lost Limbs

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:37 pm

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? approximately 5:1 mix playsand and Eco Earth

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Acurite readings 75-80% humidity 85 degrees Acurite gets moved around to to check various readings.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? ultratherm on the back and side

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? fresh and saltwater pools. Tetra Aqua Safe dechlorinator. Instant Ocean 1/2 cup to 1 gallon

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? animal proteins, fruits, veggies, nuts, calcium's. Over 100 various items covering the food pyramid. Most items from the healthy hermit, Cholla Queen, Hermies Kitchen, and Mt Pet Emporium. Foods and waters are replaced every 2 days.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? An E. We had him around two years and molted at least 2-3 times for us.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? Eddie was in progress of molting and has molted 2 or 3 times previously for us

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
30 Gallon with a glass lid

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
7 ranging from small medium.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? 15+

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? None

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? spot clean as needed

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? no sponges

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? No

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? crabs are kept hands off. Try not to disturb them.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
I am posting this for Xenocrab. She just found a bacterial bloom. Eddie the E has been down in the bloom. She removed him and placed him in small locking tub with damp moss, some Dungeness Crab Exo, and raw unfiltered honey. He currently only has one leg, both Pinchers are missing too. I am not sure if there were any limbs near him. Part of his Exo was in the bad sand and figured that would not be good to give him. He seems to be active at the moment, just not very mobile. Is there anything else we could possibly do for Eddie?

edit: I held him by his shell and hand fed him raw honey, brine shrimp eggs, powdered whole egg, and he drank some fresh water too. He appears to be very active he moves in and out of his shell like normal. He wants to move around but can only rock back and forth due to only having one limb. I feel like crying seeing him like this.

Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Molting E in Bacterial Bloom & Lost Limbs

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:23 pm

Sounds like you've done the right steps... or at least, done what I would have done.

You may need to hand feed or bathe him for the next couple of weeks until he moults again - they usually do it fairly soon in order to develop their limbs! Just ensure tank temp is up, substrate fixed - for other crabs - and continue to ISO as he will likely surface moult.

Powered/liquid foods work best and it requires very little effort in order to feed. The brine shrinp eggs are a good idea, and will be jam packed full of chitin and calcium (and protein!).

The fact that he is active is at least a good sign, it shows that he is willing to fight. So while it may be disheartening, I'd consider it ideal!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:21 pm

I already started mashing up dungeness crab Exo, calendula petals, burning bush, checked heart, bee pollen and a few other plants with a mortal an pestle. He is currently in a 10 gallon iso in a little pet carrier. With a piece of craft mesh on the bottom so he can try to move a bit easier. I put him on a bottle cap so he can scoot around easier. He has a tiny shell of fresh and salt water that way he can't fall in and drown. He also has a small shell full of the above mentioned foods.

I'm just worried with the frequency of his feedings since I'm usually gone about 10 hours a day for work.

As for the rest of the tank all the crabs have been removed. Three purples were down and are in ISO containers in another tank. Everyone that was up are currently in our 55g.

We will need to redo that tank this coming weekend. We redid the 75 on Saturday. That took ALL day and an hour or two Sunday. This has been a pretty insane week with our crabs. I'm really hoping Eddie pulls through. He is possibly my favorite crab.

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:33 pm

Here are some pictures as he was eating and drinking earlier. I just tried again but he wasn't having it, he even chirped at me!

Here is his ISO tank. I just put the Acurite in so it is reading a little low at the moment. Is there anything else I should have in there for him?

ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:59 pm

I would just suggest somewhere to hide in - or even darkening the sides a bit so he isn't as exposed....

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Princess R.

Post by Princess R. » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:08 am

aussieJJDude wrote:I would just suggest somewhere to hide in - or even darkening the sides a bit so he isn't as exposed....

Poor little fella, I hope he improves.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I have 4 purple pinchers. Crush, Bubbles, Sheldon, Sandy, and little Angelo. And I love Jesus! He is the way, the truth and the life, and he knew what he was doing when he made hermit crabs!☺
-Ruth A. J. G.

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:34 am

I tried feeding and watering Eddie this morning before work. He would pop in and out of his shell but did not appear to be interested in food or water. I'm not sure if he was eating or drinking last night. He does appear to be able to at least move around thanks to the craft mesh to grip.

I'm hoping he is not going to be picky like E's usually are with food. If he pulls through he can be as picky as he wants.

As far as feeding and watering go. How many times should I try to hand feed him a day? Morning before work 7am, after work 5:30pm, before bed 11pm? Also should I be dipping him in fresh or salt water? If so should that be once daily or every other day or not worry about it due to the humidity in the ISO tank? I am terrified about giving him more stress and making him drop his only leg. Hopefully he understands I'm not trying to hurt him. I feel so bad for him, especially not knowing what caused it.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:31 pm

I watered four times a day, first in salt and then in fresh. I had to leave her alone for 10-15 minutes in each or she would not come out to drink. (So if I was getting ready in the morning I could pop her in one dish when I got up, in the other when I got out of the shower, and then back in the tank after I was ready.)

Food I left in front of her on q-tips, either mushed liquids or powders stuck to honey or peanut butter. She licked the swabs clean! She was even able to eat pieces of her old exo with no working limbs so those mouthparts can crunch up solids - it's just less work if we do liquids and powders.

If he topples too much, use moist sand as a substrate. You can mold it around his shell to keep him propped at the right angle to eat.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:53 pm

Thanks for the Q-tip idea. I think that will work well for Eddie since he can scoot across the craft mesh with some effort. He should be able to eat whatever is on that no problem.

I wish I could add something onto his shell as a kick stand of sorts to keep him upright since the opening of the shell drags along the ground.

Tonight he ate pretty well. It took over two hours but I was happy with his what he ate. He really chowed down on greensand, brine shrimp eggs, smelt, coconut flour, blue cornmeal, powdered peanut butter, beef liver, raw honey, and a mix of plants consisting of pink rose petals, burning bush, calendula petals, chamomile, marshmallow root, dandelion leaves and hibiscus flowers.

He didn't seem as interested in beef lung, calcium worms, chicken heart, dungeness crab exo, or a nut medley.

I am so scared to try and bathe him other than just dipping him. When I first put him in the fresh water I thought he was going to come out of his shell trying to reach into it. Later I stuck his leg in the water and he raised it WAAAY into air trying to tell me No!

I will try giving him more baths and try the q-tips in the tank tonight. I put my one cam on his ISO tank so I will be able to check up on him and see how well he does get around.

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:59 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:23 pm
Sounds like you've done the right steps... or at least, done what I would have done.

You may need to hand feed or bathe him for the next couple of weeks until he moults again - they usually do it fairly soon in order to develop their limbs! Just ensure tank temp is up, substrate fixed - for other crabs - and continue to ISO as he will likely surface moult.

Powered/liquid foods work best and it requires very little effort in order to feed. The brine shrinp eggs are a good idea, and will be jam packed full of chitin and calcium (and protein!).

The fact that he is active is at least a good sign, it shows that he is willing to fight. So while it may be disheartening, I'd consider it ideal!

How come you would need to bathe them?
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:09 pm

Bathing them will allow them to refill their shells with water. They normally keep water in their shells to help keep their gills moist. The salt water will also help heal and hopefully prevent or stop any possible bacteria he may have too.

Normally they do this on their own. Since Eddie would not be able to do it on his own I need to help him out.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:34 pm

Sending Eddie some healing, positive crabby vibes! He’s made it this far, he can heal. ❤️ I hope everything else is going well.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:52 pm

I did small containers filled with a 1/4 inch of water. Enough that she could mess around but not enough for her to freak out over.

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:18 am

I just gave him two baths, salt then fresh water. I kept him in both for maybe 5 minutes each while I got the Q-tip foods ready.

I am going to move the ISO tank tomorrow. I'm not liking the temperature being in the upper 70's especially for an E. I will insulate the other side and front of the tank if need be. I'd like it to be between 82-84 degrees for him.

I hope that make shift hide will work. It's 3 walls and a roof of craft mesh. The keeper he is in is pretty small maybe 5 x 8.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:49 am

I think it was 4 weeks until she refused food, I covered her with a hut for one week, checked and she had gel limbs, left her two weeks, she was finishing exo and had regrown all her legs. I kept her isoed for two more molts u til her limbs were almost normal sized. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk