Is this normal crab behavior?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
sallrw

Post by sallrw » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:18 am

This is Brutus. He's the cutest little thing!
https://postimg.cc/grg7wyrK

https://postimg.cc/7bt9j7LC
I've had him for about 3 years now and he is very protective over all the crab shells. He watches the shells all the time and won't really let the other crabs check out the shells without running up and trying to stop them...even crabs 3X his size. He has never really hurt the other crabs (that I have seen). He will just run get in front of them, use his claws to shove or he will grab them by the shell from behind and won't let go while they are trying to break free. He doesn't shake the other crab...he just hangs on to its shell to keep it from going where he doesn't want it to.

If I see a crab checking out the shells, I have to get Brutus before he sees them and put him up high on the climbing net or house in the corner of the tank in order to occupy him for a while. I thought he was just being a little tank bully. He sometimes chirp/fusses at me when I have to move him or pick him up for some reason. Sometimes it's cute or funny but this is getting ridiculous now! He will run up and down the glass making sure my hand doesn't get near his shells.LOL
Watch these video links
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0UNxA5a ... U4W9C3zbCA

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0GSYCTs ... Pou2HQ9o2A

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0Z67uJp ... SPu_0l_FBw and please tell me if this is normal hermit crab behavior or not. I'm getting a little concerned. I've been crabbing for 3 years now and I have a 60 gallon great setup with deep soil. I let them do as they please and never have had to really use an iso tank. My crabs always go down for molt and back up with no problems and are all healthy and seem happy (except for butthead here) LOL! I don't touch them except to move them around when I have to do things in the tank or to do a well check on their body. I really don't want to have to take him out of his huge beautiful paradise. I'm afraid if I change his environment I'll lose him and I would feel terrible. He's pretty much my only problem child and I need some advise. Thanks
Last edited by sallrw on Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Topic author
sallrw

Re: Is this normal crab behavior?

Post by sallrw » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:58 pm

I could use as many ideas as I can get for this crabby situation. Thanks

PinchersAndShells

Re: Brutus, the guard over all the crab shells! Help!

Post by PinchersAndShells » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:17 am

Mine do this as well, as far as I can tell it’s not a behavior to be concerned by. :)

EDIT - If I do worry, I usually take a long object like a pencil and tap the offender on the back of the shell. This puts them in defense mode.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Topic author
sallrw

Re: Brutus, the guard over all the crab shells! Help!

Post by sallrw » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:03 pm

PinchersAndShells wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:17 am
Mine do this as well, as far as I can tell it’s not a behavior to be concerned by. :)

EDIT - If I do worry, I usually take a long object like a pencil and tap the offender on the back of the shell. This puts them in defense mode.
Oh that's a great idea! Yes, great idea! I will use a long little stick and tap his shell to redirect his attention. I'm glad to know this is normal behavior. He's a little aggressive crab as it is and it has been a while since he's gone down for a molt, so it's probably getting about that time. I'll bet he's getting a little extra aggressive because he's about to go molt. I wish he would! :joke:: ...NOT! Thank you!
Last edited by sallrw on Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:47 pm

Lol! Omg that is too funny! I know this must be a hard situation to deal with but that video is too cute. He doesn’t want anyone near his shells, I love his little personality.

Topic author
sallrw

Post by sallrw » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:38 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:47 pm
Lol! Omg that is too funny! I know this must be a hard situation to deal with but that video is too cute. He doesn’t want anyone near his shells, I love his little personality.
LOL! There are two picture links and three video links, did you see all three videos? Crazy crab! Now he's running over to stop them when they get in the food bowl too, GEEZ! I'm having to put my crab in timeout so the others can eat for goodness sake! LOL! I fixed up a small plastic Kritter Keeper and placed it in the tank so I can put him over in it when the other crabs seem interested in the food or shells. Little stink!

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:10 am

sallrw wrote:LOL! There are two picture links and three video links, did you see all three videos? Crazy crab! Now he's running over to stop them when they get in the food bowl too, GEEZ! I'm having to put my crab in timeout so the others can eat for goodness sake! LOL! I fixed up a small plastic Kritter Keeper and placed it in the tank so I can put him over in it when the other crabs seem interested in the food or shells. Little stink!
I did, I wasn’t connected to WiFi when I was trying to view them but it caught up a little bit after I posted that and I got to see the other two. My phone does that sometimes in the shared iPhone pictures or videos for some reason, it moves faster on WiFi. I love how he chases you back and forth, I am so in love with his fearless personality. He is sooo cute! Image

Topic author
sallrw

Post by sallrw » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:32 am

RiNiKy506 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:10 am
I did, I wasn’t connected to WiFi when I was trying to view them but it caught up a little bit after I posted that and I got to see the other two. My phone does that sometimes in the shared iPhone pictures or videos for some reason, it moves faster on WiFi. I love how he chases you back and forth, I am so in love with his fearless personality. He is sooo cute! Image
My Iphone does that too sometimes. Yeah, he is definitely a "fearless" cutie! Him and his timeouts are wearing me out though :lol: Thank you!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:10 am

sallrw wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:32 am
My Iphone does that too sometimes. Yeah, he is definitely a "fearless" cutie! Him and his timeouts are wearing me out though :lol: Thank you!
Too bad there isn't any crabby xanax. Lol
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
sallrw

Post by sallrw » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:57 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:10 am
Too bad there isn't any crabby xanax. Lol
:lol: :lol: :lol: Isn't THAT the truth! I'd sure have me some tiny tweezers giving it

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:02 pm

Lol @ crabby xanax and tiny tweezers to give it!

Sillymel

Post by Sillymel » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:53 am

sallrw wrote:This is Brutus. He's the cutest little thing!
https://postimg.cc/grg7wyrK

https://postimg.cc/7bt9j7LC
I've had him for about 3 years now and he is very protective over all the crab shells. He watches the shells all the time and won't really let the other crabs check out the shells without running up and trying to stop them...even crabs 3X his size. He has never really hurt the other crabs (that I have seen). He will just run get in front of them, use his claws to shove or he will grab them by the shell from behind and won't let go while they are trying to break free. He doesn't shake the other crab...he just hangs on to its shell to keep it from going where he doesn't want it to.

If I see a crab checking out the shells, I have to get Brutus before he sees them and put him up high on the climbing net or house in the corner of the tank in order to occupy him for a while. I thought he was just being a little tank bully. He sometimes chirp/fusses at me when I have to move him or pick him up for some reason. Sometimes it's cute or funny but this is getting ridiculous now! He will run up and down the glass making sure my hand doesn't get near his shells.LOL
Watch these video links
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0UNxA5a ... U4W9C3zbCA

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0GSYCTs ... Pou2HQ9o2A

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0Z67uJp ... SPu_0l_FBw and please tell me if this is normal hermit crab behavior or not. I'm getting a little concerned. I've been crabbing for 3 years now and I have a 60 gallon great setup with deep soil. I let them do as they please and never have had to really use an iso tank. My crabs always go down for molt and back up with no problems and are all healthy and seem happy (except for butthead here) LOL! I don't touch them except to move them around when I have to do things in the tank or to do a well check on their body. I really don't want to have to take him out of his huge beautiful paradise. I'm afraid if I change his environment I'll lose him and I would feel terrible. He's pretty much my only problem child and I need some advise. Thanks
That is so adorable. I love it! I would love for my little guys to have some sort of personality. I have my 3 crabs for 5 weeks now and one has been molting for about 4 of those weeks, the other 2 stay hidden all day and only come out after the lights are turned off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:35 am

Sillymel wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:53 am
That is so adorable. I love it! I would love for my little guys to have some sort of personality. I have my 3 crabs for 5 weeks now and one has been molting for about 4 of those weeks, the other 2 stay hidden all day and only come out after the lights are turned off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hermit crabs are normally nocturnal. Many of us have Wyze Cam cameras set up so we can watch their nighttime antics.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
sallrw

Post by sallrw » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:04 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:35 am
Hermit crabs are normally nocturnal. Many of us have Wyze Cam cameras set up so we can watch their nighttime antics.
I've seen some videos on YT from cams inside crabitats. I want one too! I can probably keep a better watch on this little stinker with a Wyze Cam. Thank you for reminding me about a webcam! I think I will order one.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:06 pm

sallrw wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:04 pm
I've seen some videos on YT from cams inside crabitats. I want one too! I can probably keep a better watch on this little stinker with a Wyze Cam. Thank you for reminding me about a webcam! I think I will order one.
:clap: