Finally jumped on the exercise wheel bandwagon..

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
gunstreet.girl

Finally jumped on the exercise wheel bandwagon..

Post by gunstreet.girl » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:54 am

Installed this morning and figured it would take a few days for the crabs to build up the courage to explore The New Thing, but I turned my back for 5 minutes to find a piece of wood to ease their access, and returned to this. The little dude’s been going for hours, with no sign of stopping. I sincerely regret that they’ve gone a decade without a wheel.

Most of my dudes are in the medium to extra large range, so I was nervous about their weight popping the stand out of the plastic connecter when hung upside down. Zip ties running through the slots beside the connecter holes up through the horizontal bar on the stand have eased my worry - this thing’s going nowhere Image

I also plan to attach a cork flat to the top of the base with a cholla/vine ramp to provide another chillout ledge, but I guess that will have to wait Image

And a photo from yesterday evening of two of my little dudes having a feeler dance in the jungle topper b/c... why not?

Maddamay32

Re: Finally jumped on the exercise wheel bandwagon..

Post by Maddamay32 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:03 am

Aww everything looks beautiful! It's so funny how the crabs know exactly what to do with the wheel. Most of my crabs take days to investigate new tank decor, but not the wheel!

Sent from my LG-SP320 using Tapatalk

8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

Topic author
gunstreet.girl

Post by gunstreet.girl » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:16 am

Maddamay32 wrote:Aww everything looks beautiful! It's so funny how the crabs know exactly what to do with the wheel. Most of my crabs take days to investigate new tank decor, but not the wheel!
You’re very kind - I’d given up years ago on the tank looking beautiful as my big guys trash it within minutes of rearranging.

I was honestly shocked by how quickly the wheel found a user, but I guess I shouldn’t have been *that* surprised - the little guy who’s in there is my bravest explorer :) I just thought I’d have at least 5 minutes to finish the setup..

Maddamay32

Post by Maddamay32 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:00 pm

Crabs have no respect for us! He was so excited he just couldn't wait!

8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:45 pm

Mine took a couple of weeks to go on their whhel. I even put treats in there. Now they can't get enough.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Sillymel

Post by Sillymel » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:49 pm

I have 2 crabs that don’t stay off the wheel since they found it. I always think that they think they are walking somewhere far away since they keep going for hours when they’re on it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maddamay32

Post by Maddamay32 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:50 pm

I think the same thing!! Sometimes I even feel bad lol

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:04 pm

Sillymel wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:49 pm
I have 2 crabs that don’t stay off the wheel since they found it. I always think that they think they are walking somewhere far away since they keep going for hours when they’re on it....Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know. I feel sorry for them. They never get anywhere.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi