Help with reducing clutter?

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Kydra

Help with reducing clutter?

Post by Kydra » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:23 pm

So, I upgraded before winter to a larger tank... and slowly added more and more. I've improved the water bowls so all crabs can fully submerge (which they still never go all in), but now have an option to.

I used to have all the shells in a corner kinda stacked up although I had less at the time. Was looking at an older pic and a more recent pic and wow it's cluttered. Thinking if I just clean the shells (28 total extras) and can put them in their own area that would help clear things up.

Here's a few pictures if anyone has any other thoughts or ideas! Thanks. Image

I am going to upgrade again in the spring, but that's a ways off so trying to get by with using just the 20 long for now.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Kydra

Re: Help with reducing clutter?

Post by Kydra » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:43 pm

Looking at both pictures... I may remove the hamster wheel and just add another section of that black plastic "egg crate" material against the glass there for climbing (no room taken up by that) along with just cleaning and piling the shells back into that one corner. That's all I have for ideas.

Feel free to recommend any changes or constructive criticism if needed. I've learned a lot, but no expert here!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:24 pm

My 90 gal is cluttered. I just think that's a continuous problem. With all they have, and their tunnels, it's hard to find room for their food dish.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:22 pm

A shell shop that's off the ground would help contain things and free up some space.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

DinkDonk

Post by DinkDonk » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:55 am

I agree with wood! A place to store shells away from the main floor would be good for adding more space and climbing area, try adding a plastic shower caddy or build I second floor for them to climb and Traverse on. I also think that you could possibly attached some climbing objects to the wall so that it doesn't take as much space on the ground. Suction cups work well for these I believe. Other than that, it seems like you're giving your crabs a lot of climbing objects!

Topic author
Kydra

Post by Kydra » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:35 pm

Thanks for the tips. I have so much "stuff" laying around that I'm not using and have tried a second level, but the reality is the substrate is half the tank and that spiderwood I found has worked out pretty well as they all climb around on it and have a few tunnels under to the other side of it they go in and out of.

Guess I was looking at the first picture and felt like there was more room to roam around for them. I'm terribly anti-creative and most of the things I've 'made' haven't worked out too well. I can add that plastic egg crate back instead of just having the one against the glass as they do climb that as well.

I'll have to find a shower caddy as I don't even know what that is 😂. Of course I've read that here though many times. I will have to look at some pictures and Google a bit. Maybe something on Amazon? I have 28 extra shells in so many sizes. I have material I can use for them to climb to it if needed.

I'll check that out. If anyone has purchased one online feel free to share a link. Will take a look at what results I get from Amazon and try to work the dimensions out. Thanks again! 👍👍

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:53 pm

I've used these. They're generous in size but still compact enough to fit in half filled tanks.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Cl ... /676320343

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:15 am

You can get them at Walmart. The shower caddies. Lol. They have corner ones or rectangle.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Kydra

Post by Kydra » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:24 am

Thanks! Any concerns considering I'd be basically stacking the shells up in a container for them to crawl to and change with various sizes?

Had an unexpected new addition, size of a penny, and a larger one that I had previously adopted. Thought he was much smaller based on shell size, but the poor thing was in such a small shell while I was prepping the tank I sat him on the floor where there were a few shells sitting around and he immediately was changing into both on the floor in front of me; was really interesting and kinda sad too.

Still though... should I be concerned that they'd all be able to get to the shells they need for their size at all?

Otherwise, sounds like a good plan and will likely help as I'm going to tidy up the tank on a day off this week.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:31 pm

Kydra wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:24 am
Thanks! Any concerns considering I'd be basically stacking the shells up in a container for them to crawl to and change with various sizes?

Had an unexpected new addition, size of a penny, and a larger one that I had previously adopted. Thought he was much smaller based on shell size, but the poor thing was in such a small shell while I was prepping the tank I sat him on the floor where there were a few shells sitting around and he immediately was changing into both on the floor in front of me; was really interesting and kinda sad too.

Still though... should I be concerned that they'd all be able to get to the shells they need for their size at all?

Otherwise, sounds like a good plan and will likely help as I'm going to tidy up the tank on a day off this week.
Alot of people use shell shops. At one point I tried it but on the ground. I tried having only one level of shells. The only thing they used it for was to walk through to get to the other side. When I finally just scattered the shells on the ground there was more interest. But then the shells get dirtier faster and buried. And of course it takes up room. Which is what your concern was. It's certainly worth a try. And I've seen on here the shells on top of each other. Somehow the crabs manage.

Topic author
Kydra

Post by Kydra » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:44 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:31 pm
Alot of people use shell shops. At one point I tried it but on the ground. I tried having only one level of shells. The only thing they used it for was to walk through to get to the other side. When I finally just scattered the shells on the ground there was more interest. But then the shells get dirtier faster and buried. And of course it takes up room. Which is what your concern was. It's certainly worth a try. And I've seen on here the shells on top of each other. Somehow the crabs manage.
Gotcha, thanks! Kinda figured that would have been the answer, but why not ask lol. Yeah in the first pic I had them mostly off to the corner sitting on a plastic climbing net thing which worked ok too. Now that they are scattered, I am definitely missing a few; probably buried as you wrote.

Thanks for all the help here! 😎

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:21 pm

A 20 long is not very deep, but even putting the caddies right on the substrate will create another level for the crabs to climb up to and into. I would use at least 2 corner caddies and divide the shells. They do seem able to dig through the shells to find ones they want, but I don't like the shells to be piled too deep, because I don't want anything in there to discourage them from taking an empty shell rather than challenging a tank-mate for a shell that is in use. It does seem odd or unnatural to have shells off of the substrate, and especially if they are up in hanging caddies or baskets, but it doesn't seem to bother the crabs, and it definitely helps to keep the shells cleaner and stop them getting buried. As the shells get more expensive the larger they get, that becomes more of a concern as you go along. Plus anything you can do to encourage them to move more is going to be enriching and better for their health in the captive environment, so putting resources like shells and food up where they have to climb to them is a bonus.
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Topic author
Kydra

Post by Kydra » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:12 pm

Wow... I have really changed things up (at least IMO lol) since posting those pics. Had changed the water bowls again with expensive ones from Petco then thought they were leaking so did a DIY Tupperware contraption for the water. I did this with a lizard hammock sitting around and some craft mesh which all was cheaper than the other bowls and should have from the beginning! The crabs have been more active with just that change as they now have to work/climb just a little bit to get to the water. Also, there's a 'bridge' now to climb from the freshwater to the saltwater and they've been enjoying this as well.

Appreciate all the help/advice. I purchased a few cheap shower caddies from Amazon, but had an attempted shelljack so decided against that until I upgrade (have to update that thread in the behavior section). Will try to post an updated picture later on as I think I'll stick with where I'm at now until I upgrade completely in a few months.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:37 pm

I love coming up with ways to add more space. 20 long would be challenging since you don't have much height to begin with. Can you post an updated picture? I'd love to take a crack at some ideas.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Kydra

Post by Kydra » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:39 pm

Motörcrab wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:37 pm
I love coming up with ways to add more space. 20 long would be challenging since you don't have much height to begin with. Can you post an updated picture? I'd love to take a crack at some ideas.
Absolutely. Will take a picture tomorrow and update this post from the original pics posted as the crabs are all doing their thing now. Honestly though, I'm not sure I can really do much more. I've changed/added a few things, but as you wrote I am missing the height with half sub. I'm also not that creative so was surprised I was able to make something of the Tupperware water bowls. Think with the water changes and a few other changes, it looks more different to me than it probably actually is lol. Will update tomorrow though to see what you think. I am planning on upgrading to a larger tank in a few months which will be nice. I have so many things for them just laying around collecting dust!