Dehydrator - What brand? What food?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Xyloart

Dehydrator - What brand? What food?

Post by Xyloart » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:19 pm

I'm thinking about buying the nesco brand dehydrator; does anyone have that one? What brand do you guys recommend? What are your favorite things to dehydrate? Too much of my fruit and veggies are going to waste and the crabs seem to like the dehydrated stuff better anyway. :banana:
Current critters: Cat, Corn Snake, Plated Lizard, two Bettas, 12 PPs, 10 Es, 6 Ruggies, 2 blueberries, 3 strawberries, 2 foster guinea pigs

aquav

Post by aquav » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:42 pm

Just bought it few weeks ago at Kohl's. I used to have an american harvest, but it was time for a new one.
So far I am very happy with it. I have made fruit roll ups, bananas, and just yesterday I dried hot peppers, lemon grass and green onions (put it outside when you are drying onions...).

By the way, I just checked the Kohl's website and they say that it is no longer available, however, I saw it at the store the other day.
I also bought this books and like it a lot. There are also several others out there.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Dry-Foods-Dea ... 656&sr=8-2
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”. Mahatma Gandhi

sugarselections

Post by sugarselections » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:24 pm

I have a few dehydrators because I use them for work. I use Nesco Snackmasters and highly recommend them.

VHPlac

Post by VHPlac » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:55 pm

I have my Snackmaster since 2003 when my husband went to Iraq and buying Beef Jerky for the weekly care packages got way too expensive!
It is still running and works like on day one!
For the Crabs I am dehydrating everything I can get my hands on from the save food list. (Leafs, blossoms, veggies, fruit, meat e.t.c.)
Last night I dehydrated 1/4 cup of lean ground beef... they are munching on it right now!
5 Purple Pincers
2 Ecuadorians
1 Doberman Pincher (female)
1 Albino California King Snake
1 Boa Constrictor Imperator
1 Worm Snake
6 Homo Sapiens (1 adult male called Hubby (33) and 5 of his offspring (3 males and 2 females)

aquav

Post by aquav » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:49 pm

VHPlac wrote: Last night I dehydrated 1/4 cup of lean ground beef... they are munching on it right now!
Great idea!!!
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”. Mahatma Gandhi

Topic author
Xyloart

Post by Xyloart » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:09 pm

Okay I think I'll be making a purchase at Target tomorrow. :P
Current critters: Cat, Corn Snake, Plated Lizard, two Bettas, 12 PPs, 10 Es, 6 Ruggies, 2 blueberries, 3 strawberries, 2 foster guinea pigs

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:25 pm

I have a Snackmaster too! I have dried so many things in it, mainly for my hubby and me. I started making dog treats when we switched our dogs to a raw diet, and wanted to make them treats that weren't packed full of preservatives and other unknown and unpronounceable ingredients.

The crabs are just the newest ones to benefit from the dehydrator.

Topic author
Xyloart

Post by Xyloart » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:59 pm

Some day after I've won the lottery I'm going to buy a freeze dryer and make myself sick from eating too many freeze dried apples because they are basically the tastiest food ever.