How is my bubbler?

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
Lburns

How is my bubbler?

Post by Lburns » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:01 pm

Is it too bubbly? Is it deep enough?

My crabs kind of seem scared of it. This is Batman, my largest crab, giving it a quick walk thru.

4 PPs. Crabbing since Sept. 2014. Batman - Found as a stray (holy crab!) (2 molts). Killer Croc (1 molt). Man-Bat (1 molt). Lex Luthor (1 molt).
RIP Robin (did not survive 1st molt).

hermieluv1

Re: How is my bubbler?

Post by hermieluv1 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:14 am

Mine love strong bubbles. My pump is adjustable and I cranked it up last night, and they have all been in it, using it like a Jacuzzi!

Topic author
Lburns

Post by Lburns » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:02 am

How fun!!! I didn't catch my guys in it at all last night :(
Maybe they just need to get used to the noise first. Wish us luck!
4 PPs. Crabbing since Sept. 2014. Batman - Found as a stray (holy crab!) (2 molts). Killer Croc (1 molt). Man-Bat (1 molt). Lex Luthor (1 molt).
RIP Robin (did not survive 1st molt).

parker_roo

Post by parker_roo » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:08 am

I am about to make my own bubbler, I got my pump from Amazon yesterday! When I tried to explain the bubbler to my sister, she said all she could imagine was the scene in The Lion King 1 1/2 when Pumba, Simba, and Timone are all in a "natural jacuzzi" and when Pumba gets out all the bubbles go away. That is the best reaction to what I told her, and this is why I love my sister! [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]
***Let the crabby adventures begin!***

kadynadair16

Post by kadynadair16 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:07 pm

How much do bubblers cost? Where do I find one and what all do I need to buy?

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:14 pm

You need an aquarium pump, airline hose, and an airstone. The hose and airstone are cheap, and you can get a small pump for around $25ish - I think quite a few people like the Tetra Whisper, and you wouldn't need any bigger than the 10 gallon one. You can find all the stuff in the aquarium section of your pet store :)
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

parker_roo

Post by parker_roo » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:25 pm

I just made my bubbler last night, and it was all under $20.

Things you will need:
An aquarium pump (I bought a 10 gallon pump for $9 off Amazon)
Aqurium airline tubing (I got an 8 foot tube from Wal-Mart for $1.80)
Airstones (assuming you are going to have bubbles in both FW and SW, you will need two, and I got mine on sale for $0.01 each! But they usually are $1 each)
An aquarium T-way connector valve (only if you are going to have bubbles in both FW and SW, bought for $1.50 from Wal-Mart)

Instructions:
You will need to cut pieces of the airline tubing to the length you need going from your pump to your tank. I cut a piece of tubing about 1 1/2 feet, and connected one end to my pump, and the other end to the T-way valve. Next cut two pieces leading to your FW and SW dishes. My tubing is about 6 inches for both pools. The tubing you just cut to go to the water dishes will connect your t-way valve to your airstones. Attach one end of the tubing to one side of the t-way valve, and the other end to your airstone. You will do this for both pools, and then you place the airstone into the water. Let the airstones sit in the water to soak for about 10-15 min, and then plug in your air pump, and tah dah, bubbles!

Here are a few pics of my bubbler.

I hope this helps!
***Let the crabby adventures begin!***

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:32 pm

The air pump pushes air through the tubing. The tubes go into the tank, with airstones at the end. The airstones split up the air into a bunch if tiny lil holes, and that's how you get bubbles 24/7
You can get Tvalves to split one tube into 2 for 2 separate pools. There's also some valve you can get that stops water from going backwards during a power outage.

Crabbers unite!!!

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:33 pm

parker_roo wrote:I just made my bubbler last night, and it was all under $20.

Things you will need:
An aquarium pump (I bought a 10 gallon pump for $9 off Amazon)
Aqurium airline tubing (I got an 8 foot tube from Wal-Mart for $1.80)
Airstones (assuming you are going to have bubbles in both FW and SW, you will need two, and I got mine on sale for $0.01 each! But they usually are $1 each)
An aquarium T-way connector valve (only if you are going to have bubbles in both FW and SW, bought for $1.50 from Wal-Mart)

Instructions:
You will need to cut pieces of the airline tubing to the length you need going from your pump to your tank. I cut a piece of tubing about 1 1/2 feet, and connected one end to my pump, and the other end to the T-way valve. Next cut two pieces leading to your FW and SW dishes. My tubing is about 6 inches for both pools. The tubing you just cut to go to the water dishes will connect your t-way valve to your airstones. Attach one end of the tubing to one side of the t-way valve, and the other end to your airstone. You will do this for both pools, and then you place the airstone into the water. Let the airstones sit in the water to soak for about 10-15 min, and then plug in your air pump, and tah dah, bubbles!

Here are a few pics of my bubbler.

I hope this helps!
Nice pools!!!!

Crabbers unite!!!

kadynadair16

Post by kadynadair16 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:20 am

Thank you everyone! This was very helpful