Living in a coastal town

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Andee

Living in a coastal town

Post by Andee » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:41 pm

So I've decided I really love living near the beach, it means I get shell shops near me and access to local fish and some really weird seafood that my crabs just love. Like today for example I went to my local fish market and found WHOLE smelt... fresh and everything 8D . It made me so happy, I bought a single smelt, with some laughs from behind the counter from the people who are used to seeing me there and know what I am doing with it. The smelt will last two servings, the great thing is, is that it isn't even gutted. I cut it up in several pieces for my colony today, and added half of it. The head was immediately claimed by my jumbo PP, Junior lol. He's got the most muscle that he can take over everything.

Add some local bee pollen, some spirulina, dried krill, dried grasshoppers, dried fruit, nuts, dried blood worms and you have the rest of today's meal ^^

I think it had been a couple days since they got fresh fish, and the smell of the smelt brought about 12 of the little buggers out. lol <3

YYWW

Re: Living in a coastal town

Post by YYWW » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:12 am

They smel't the smelt!!!
How many crabs do you have?
I think i have about 6,557,855 reasons for loving living in a coastal town. #1 being that i do not live in a coastal town.

Crabbers unite!!!

hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:51 am

That is #1 on my bucket list! The beach, not the smelt.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:38 am

I live in an area that is heavily Italian and many families do the Feast of the Seven Fishes at Christmas, so whole smelts are on the menu in my tanks every December. :) The crabs love it!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Andee

Post by Andee » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:17 am

I have 25 crabs right now, split between a 40 gallon and a 110 gallon. All the ones in the 40 gallon are the smalls who will be sent to schools as class pets after we've worked on setting up a proper crabitat. I rehabilitate a lot of them ^^

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:13 pm

Andee wrote:I have 25 crabs right now, split between a 40 gallon and a 110 gallon. All the ones in the 40 gallon are the smalls who will be sent to schools as class pets after we've worked on setting up a proper crabitat. I rehabilitate a lot of them ^^
Aaaaah 110 gallon, my dream gallonage! Sounds like crabtopia already!!

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
Andee

Post by Andee » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:01 pm

They have something like 13 inches of eco earth, I haven't figured out the right ratio to use sand and EE together. Last time I used sand it was too much and I had a lot of collapsed tunnels. They have 13 inch deep pools with wood and rock ramps, to climb in and out of. THey also have a second level and a hemp net, along with cholla wood and drift wood to climb on. ^^ they are all very happy crabs I like to think.