Is he going to die??

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
NevaehsMommy

Is he going to die??

Post by NevaehsMommy » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:30 pm

Hello!
I'm new to this site, and a new crab owner. About two weeks ago I went out and bought two HCs for my daughter from PetCo. I'll admit I didn't know what it takes to care for them then. I bought a plastic critter keeper and sand and bowls and food. I noticed a mite on the one crab that very night. They had painted shells. For hours that night at work I read all about them on this site and others. The next day I bought a 10g glass aquarium, EE, the conditioners for the water (ZooMed), a heating pad, extra shells, a hut, a plant, humidity/temp gauges, etc. The crabs weren't active at all. Not even when we'd bought them at the pet store. Unfortunately two days later one died. And a few days after that the second one. I knew because of the short time we had them that it probably wasn't my fault and they were already not doing well when we got them. My daughter was very upset. Since then I've been reading more and more about them. I took my daughter out to PetSmart. We got two more crabs, but picked ones that were more active. They're conditions at the store seemed to be a lot better. None of the crabs had painted shells. When we were holding them they came out immediately to say hello and crawl around our hands. That was about a week ago and since then they seem to be doing well. They are active, I've seen Mango (the larger of the two) bathe himself/drink in both FW and SW bowls. He didn't seem to be eating much (but then again I've read that it can be hard to tell because they eat so little). I had given them fresh coconut, grapes, bananas, carrots, applesauce. But last night I put in organic honey and PB. Mango loved it! I watched him at the food bowl for about 20min! Oh yeah, Loco has dug under since maybe yesterday morning (about 36 hours now) so I'm praying he's molting! (I'm not even going to try and dig to look for him). The temp stays constantly at 76-80°. The humidity is usually between 70-80%, but never at 70 for long. As soon as I see it that low I spray (about 3 or 4x a day total) and it goes up quickly. I do realize that there are things I need to fix. I have sand and EE only about 5in deep. The crabs are very small though. And I also know I need a diff salt water. I read on here the declorinator I use for their FW is perfect. I was going to buy play sand and Instant Ocean today. But honestly I want to see what's up with Mango first. I have spent well over $200 on these guys to make sure they have everything they need. I don't want to spend more just to have them die on me again.
Okay so I guess I should get into my emergency now. Just a little while ago my daughter wanted to take Mango out to play (since I explained to her Loco is buried under somewhere and we can't disturb him). Mango was in his moss pit (it's his favorite spot). We put him on the bed and he came out immediately to crawl around. After just a few min she went to put him back (somehow we didn't realize it til then), and noticed his BP was in the moss pit underneath where he always is. She started flipping out and I'm scared too. We just put him back in the pit, and I put a towel over the tank to make it darker. Oh yeah , he's not missing any other legs, he's had them all since we got them. Idk what to do. Do I just leave him in there? I'm guessing he needs a molt. But he hasn't yet tried to dig under. Or do you think he'll probably just die too? Do I dog a hole in the sand and put him in there instead? Like I said I'm new at this, and besides those two things I need to take care of, I think they're very well taken care of. And have showed no signs of being sick til now.
I'd really appreciate any advice you can give. I praying he makes it through and can molt. My daughter is already very upset thinking the worst. I'm also hoping the best for Loco and hopefully we'll see him in a couple weeks back up!

CallaLily

Re: Is he going to die??

Post by CallaLily » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:01 pm

This sounds like Post Purchase Syndrome. The best and really only thing you can do is continue to provide proper conditions, make both types of water easily accessible, and offer plenty of good foods. Foods like raw honey, all natural peanut butter, sweet fruits, and plenty of protein and calcium sources. Keep a regular day/night cycle and do not disturb him unless absolutely necessary. I hope your crabbie pulls through.

Your other crab digging down is very normal and a good thing. I know it's easier said then done, but try not to worry too much about him. Depending on the crab, they can stay under anywhere from a week to several months.

Welcome to the HCA. It sounds like you've already been reading the forums but just in case, here's a link to our care sheet section. http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... m.php?f=51
There's a lot of great information there. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Topic author
NevaehsMommy

Post by NevaehsMommy » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:14 pm

Yes I've read all of the care sheets. You all have posted such great information, and because of that I'll know if they don't make it that I've done everything I could have! I'm going to leave him be and hope for the best. Thank you so much for your quick response!

hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:49 am

Once they start dropping limbs, it is usually impending death. But it is nothing you have done.

I have bought several crabs from Petsmart, and one thing I do is find out what day they receive their crabs, then buy that day. Seems to help.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:23 am

There are crabbers here who have nursed their little guys back to health after dropping limbs. It can be done but doesn't always work and requires hand feeding, ISO, and just being really involved and taking care not to cause more stress. I will try to find the success story and link below.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:25 am

I can't find it but I know it was within the last couple of months.

Amiller2850

Post by Amiller2850 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:52 pm

Seems common. We had the same issue when my son first got his crabs. Some would die immediately or within 10 days. Now we have had the same 8 since November. They stress out very easy and there is nothing you can do to prevent that since the conditions they had to travel to the store in were less than ideal. Petco should have some type of warranty on them as well so you don't have to keep repurchasing new crabs. Like hermiluv advised see when the shipment comes in and get one that day if you end up getting another. You can always check for adoptions also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:02 pm

My petco actually has a 30 day guarantee.
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Amiller2850

Post by Amiller2850 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:02 pm

Ours too Kelley

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Topic author
NevaehsMommy

Post by NevaehsMommy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:39 pm

Well I found Mango dead in the tank this morning. :( I'm really surprised it happened that fast. He was just eating and crawling around not 24 hours before that. Loco is still under. I do still have the receipt from Pet smart so technically I can "return" and get my $5.69 refund. Uggh. This is all very frustrating!! I really don't even know if I want to buy more. I can't handle another dying on me, and my daughter gets upset every time.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Fri May 01, 2015 7:22 am

I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

You could check out our adoption section here, instead if buying. If you're adopting hermit crabs from good conditions they're usually already adjusted and do well. The added bonus is you won't be supporting the collection and sale of hermit crabs. Good luck in whatever you decide. :)

Makena95GT

Post by Makena95GT » Fri May 01, 2015 10:22 am

Yup if its been 14 days id "return" him. Some stores are nice and wont force you to give them the body so you can give him a proper send-off. Just be sure to take your receipt and proof that hes no longer living (youll have to show them his body) and let them know what happened so hopefully they can learn from that and maybe put a little extra effort in caring for the crabs at the store

cathagi

Post by cathagi » Fri May 01, 2015 2:00 pm

We bought crab from petsmart on a Saturday by Sunday it had passed if you used your rewards card they'll have it on file. I had to do that. If not tell them what day you got him and what all you bought that day and they can look up your receipt that way too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk