Help! Molt then streak!

Where to post and/or get advice if your hermit crab has dropped its seashell. If your crab has molted AND gone naked, please post in the Molting forum.

Topic author
Amanda2

Help! Molt then streak!

Post by Amanda2 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:44 am

Please help. I've dealt with a streaker before but he died I don't want it to happen again. Ok, so i was cleaning the tank when I saw a molter tunnel had collapsed. I gently dug him up, put him in ISO with his newly shed limbs( he'd eated most of them so his exo was hardened ) and some cuttle bone. He'd been doing fine in ISO, not moving much but I thought that was typical. He was also pale but just thought he needed some food. Today I checked on him and he is naked! He appeared gray and the section before his abdomen is wrinkly. Do I need to post the questions about the ISO or main tank?Ps how do I post pics?

Topic author
Amanda2

Help! Molt then streak!

Post by Amanda2 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:23 am

UPDATE: he has re-shelled in a thick gold mouth turbo but I'm afraid he'll come out again since it is heavey and when I saw him he was upside down. I'll offer him a lighter she'll and see what happens

Crabber85

Help! Molt then streak!

Post by Crabber85 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:58 pm

Streaking indicates that the crab is either too weak to carry a shell whether from sickness or stress or that something is off with the temp or humidity conditions.If you could please copy and post the questions found here it would help us to get a better idea of what maybe causing the issue.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
Amanda2

Help! Molt then streak!

Post by Amanda2 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:07 am

UPDATED: he has switched shels at least 2 more times but is currently shell-less1) How long have you had your crabs and how long have you been caring for this particular crab in distress? I've had hermit crabs for three years but this one is about a year and a half2) What size is your tank and what kind of lid do you have? 20 gal long, glass lid3) What are you using for heat? Please be specific and include fixture type, watt or mat size and where the heat source is mounted.Regular lamp that heats up not sure of watt but keeps tank at 70-75 constantly exept at night when I tur n it off4) What kind of substrate do you use in your tank and at what depth? Is it dry or damp and sand castle consistency?sand,moist 4 inches deep5) Do you dechlorinate your fresh water and if so, with what product? Do you offer aquarium salt water in addition to fresh water? Again, what product?Yes, API I think and yes to the saltwater 6) What do you normally feed your crabs?Anything on the safe foods list7) Do you bathe, mist or handle your crabs at all? Occasional handling 8) What are the temperature and humidity readings? Please be specific and include high low fluctuations if you're aware of themTemp 70-75 and humidity 75 percent

Crabber85

Help! Molt then streak!

Post by Crabber85 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:46 pm

Your substrate depth needs to be increased an additional two inches as six is the bare minimum, your temp and humidity readings sound good but you need to switch over to a UTH pad rated for a 60 gallon enclosure side or back mount it, it will keep the tank temp stable throughout the day and night and will not zap the humidity like the heat bulb your using.Using heat bulbs on anything smaller than thirty gallons is not recommended because it isn't safe for the crabs as the bulb produces a direct drying heat it tends to uniformly heat and then overheat the entire enclosure while sucking the humidity out this can lead to streaking because the crab is literally overheating in its shell so it will choose to drop the shell rather than to keep it on in an effort to keep cool.Letting the temps bounce around from day to night by cutting off the heat source at night is also detrimental to the crabs because these violent erratic swings cause extra stress on the crab which can result in a weak or lethargic hermitcrab and a weak hermitcrab will often times choose to abandon its shell to lighten its burden as trying to haul a heavy cumbersome shell around when its already weak and exhausted only tires it out even more.Try some lighter weight shells to see if it will attempt to keep these on longer the lighter weight may be what its looking for.Keep the tank dimly lit and try to disturb the crab as little as possible.Raw or organic honey in a bottle cap is a wonderful easy to digest energy food that also contains a natural anti-bacteria/ anti-microbial agent that the crab can use to help heal itself.Mushed bananas are another good easy to eat high energy food that sick hermitcrabs seem to do well on.You can try offering these to things independent of each other over the course of the next few days and see if they help the crab out.When a hermitcrab has had its molt disrupted the disruption will normally force the crab to the surface sooner than it should be coming up and this can result in a lot of extra un-needed stress on the crab which can throw it into a weakened state.Digging for buried hermits is never recommended unless its an emergency such as tunnel or molt pocket collapse the risk for injuring a newly molted softie or preventing the crab from successful completion of the molt is extremely high so we always like to discourage digging them up but as you did not know any better think of this as a lesson learned which unfortunately is how most of us learned as well.If you have any more questions please feel free to ask and I hope I helped.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.