Huge Goodwill score.

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

Topic author
Crabber85

Huge Goodwill score.

Post by Crabber85 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:01 am

Went to take three bags of clothes to donate them at our local Goodwill yesterday and went in to the store after dropping our donations off and found something that's very rare and very expensive, the four DVD box set extended edition of The Lord of The Rings The Two Towers complete with the slip case, art insert and all DVDs which were still in excellent shape, my mother paid six dollars for the set and when I got home I quickly looked up how much the set would normally go for in a retail store and I was shocked the set still retails for $85 new and $65 used but you can only get them from Amazon.com Amazon also had some used copies listed which were also from other Goodwill stores around the country and apparently when Goodwill gets an item like this they always put it up for sale online instead of in store so technically I wasn't supposed to have been able to find the set I have like I did it should have been in the back out of sight waiting to be auctioned off so guess what that means I hit a double score I was able to find something that shouldn't been available on the floor and only paid six dollars for it.I know that it might sound like I did a terrible thing but when I inquired about the condition of the disks the associate I spoke with never acted like I wasn't supposed to have it so because it was on the floor I ended up with it.The disks looked barely used and the slip cover is in excellent condition which is another bonus because these used sets don't typically come with a slip cover because these covers usually end up being so damaged from use and abuse that they get tossed in the trash long before the disks get donated.If your in to finding rare items check out your local Goodwill's you never know what you might find.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Laurie LeAnn

Huge Goodwill score.

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:45 am

Lol...one man's trash..I would of never picked them up.. but my girlfriend's son is getting married in August, she has a soft pink dress with silver swimmers has been looking for pink shoes for a month! Went to goodwill Friday found silver sandals and a little silver shimmering purse both for 16$ like New. Told her looks better than pink anyways..we get 90% of our cloths and things at good will!

Topic author
Crabber85

Huge Goodwill score.

Post by Crabber85 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:06 am

@Laurie, I like going scrapping(getting used electronics and other items that can be cannibalized for use on other things)because the prices are hard to beat and if you know what your looking at you can always tell if something is broken beyond use.This DVD collectors set is not the first rare thing I've obtained from Goodwill about a year ago I went and was looking through their old vinyl records and found an original Empire Strikes Back two Record set that still had the slip cover, the cover and the Records were well taken care of apparently someone had been collecting Star Wars items and ended up donating their stuff to the Goodwill this usually happens when a person passes and their relatives don't understand how valuable the items are so they just donate them or toss them anyway I only paid 75 cents for the Records and later found out they are worth over a hundred dollars given their current condition and age.Yeah I suppose it is true "One mans trash is another mans treasure".I'm not ashamed to go shopping at a Goodwill or Salvation Army or any thrift store for that matter because you can find nice things for very cheap but I do know several people who would never step foot in a thrift store because they are to up on themselves and feel that being seen in such an establishment is an embarrassment...
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

jenok

Huge Goodwill score.

Post by jenok » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:22 am

I try to buy either 50% or more on sale for new item (usually Walmart) or garage/yard sale or thrift stores. Unfortunately the majority of thrift stores close to me are not very good but every now and then I find something I like for a price I can live with. A lot of the time I find things at yard sales cheaper and/or in better condition than thrift store.One of the churches in our very small town actually started like a mini thrift store only everything is free. Clothes, books, toys, ect... are donated by the community and then on certain days volunteers come in and open the building from like 8am - 2pm or so and anyone is welcome to take what they need. I wish more communities would do this.

Topic author
Crabber85

Huge Goodwill score.

Post by Crabber85 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:40 pm

@jenok, yeah we have a few local churches who do weekly yard sales and a couple who have thrift type basement stores that open twice a month.
#Autism Speaks.