Power Out - Can't Heat Tank

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
melina

Power Out - Can't Heat Tank

Post by melina » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:28 pm

My power has been out for an hour and seems like it might stay out for the rest of the night.. Tank temp has already dropped to 73.. This is probably as low as it will get.. Will my crab be okay overnight? Idk how to heat the tank without power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tala

Re: Power Out - Can't Heat Tank

Post by Tala » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:41 pm

I'm gonna go ahead and say it'll be fine-- our tank has gotten that low or lower multiple times and our crabs have been fine.
(We're working on insulating and keeping the temps higher and consistent, though)
9 PPs (Sandy, Shelly, Franklin, Max Jr., Gusgus, Digdug, Steve, General Crabbington, & Ol' Lady Crabbington)
4 kitties & 2 pups! :)

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:03 am

I'd get some blankets and temporarily put them over the tank to maintain heat if it gets chilly overnight though. Make sure to get them fresh air by opening the lid in the am though.

Sent from my VS415PP using Tapatalk

mool

Post by mool » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:46 am

Here's a whole thread on what to do in a power outtage:

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 30&t=81726

Topic author
melina

Post by melina » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:04 am

Thanks everyone! The power came back on during the night and all was fine :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Candie

Post by Candie » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:52 am

I remember about 2 months ago when I first got my first 2 crabs the power went out at 7 pm in the middle of a storm and the tank temp. Dropped to 60, it really worried me because I was new at this and had a molter down. We had our fire place going to heat the living room because it was really cold and I would warm a blanket by the fire then set it on the tank and add more blankets to lock in the heat and it raised it to 69-70 which was alot better. Just thought to share this in case it happens to anyone, it seemed to heat the tank alot but you have to reheat the blanket every 10 mins but it was fine with me because there was nothing to do haha